Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lugs

JThompson

Okay, now I'm no gunsmith, but as I said before... I know metal. This doesn't look right to me. It appears to me that the slide is only locking on one lug. This is beyond the scope of what I can do with what I have, but shouldn't this be addressed?

Ignore the horiz line on both lugs, it's just glare. As you can clearly see the front lug is doing all the work. Should I take it to a gunsmith and have him/her take a bit off the front or what?

6.jpg

Edited by JThompson

Your looking at the wrong part of the lug for locking. Your just seeing wear marks from sliding along inside the slide. Ignore it.

The amount of lockup is on the shoulder at 90" to where you photo'ed it.

The check for amount of lockup is measured from depth the lugs lock in the slide. Which is a combination of slide/frame/bottom lug cuts.

If when barrel is locked, is there any play for and aft is called addon headspace.

I don't see any signs of peening which would indicate a timing problem.

Your looking at the wrong part of the lug for locking. Your just seeing wear marks from sliding along inside the slide. Ignore it.

The amount of lockup is on the shoulder at 90" to where you photo'ed it.

The check for amount of lockup is measured from depth the lugs lock in the slide. Which is a combination of slide/frame/bottom lug cuts.

If when barrel is locked, is there any play for and aft is called addon headspace.

I don't see any signs of peening which would indicate a timing problem.

There is about three thou end play and the front lug's edges are more rounded than the back ones. I dunno if it means anything or not. It's all about learning for me, so I'm bringing up anything I find and asking for input. ;)

Edited by JThompson

The gunsmiths on here could offer a better (more informed) opinion, but I don't see anything abnormal there. I've seen a couple of topends that had "beaten themselves apart" with severely rounded lugs, and such - you don't have anything that even begins to look like those examples I've seen.

+1 to cking on the wear marks on top of the lugs... mine show similar "uneven" wear in that regard....

The gunsmiths on here could offer a better (more informed) opinion, but I don't see anything abnormal there. I've seen a couple of topends that had "beaten themselves apart" with severely rounded lugs, and such - you don't have anything that even begins to look like those examples I've seen.

+1 to cking on the wear marks on top of the lugs... mine show similar "uneven" wear in that regard....

Thanks X ;)

Measure the distance between the hood and the lug faces on the barrel, compare that to the slide measurements from breechface to slide lug faces. A thou or a thou and a half will seat in and bring the other lug/s into contact. Any more than that and it should have been addressed before the barrel was fitted up.

Check vertical lock up, unlocked and tight against the slide and then locked up fully. You are looking for .042" or a bit more engagement between the upper lugs and the slide. If you don't have that much you need to get it.

Measure the distance between the hood and the lug faces on the barrel, compare that to the slide measurements from breechface to slide lug faces. A thou or a thou and a half will seat in and bring the other lug/s into contact. Any more than that and it should have been addressed before the barrel was fitted up.

Check vertical lock up, unlocked and tight against the slide and then locked up fully. You are looking for .042" or a bit more engagement between the upper lugs and the slide. If you don't have that much you need to get it.

I think we are good there... I took some time and measured everything and it's all pretty close... time to stop nit picking and shoot. :) If it comes apart I'll know I missed something. :P

Best