Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Millett Front Sights

Rufus The Bum

I have the SDM fiber optic front on my 625-8 and want to install a Millett white outline rear sight (some guy named Jerry Miculek said to)  I noticed it comes in .312, .360 or .410  I would assume any of the 3 would work because they are listed as being for S&W Revolvers.  My question is, which one is the predominate favorite?  The .360 stands out because it's right in the middle.  Any ideas?  

I would be very careful on the selection of the rear sight height especially since it sounds like you have changed the front sight.  You should check with the Millett.  I found out the hard way that choosing the wrong one may mean you can run out of elevation adjustment before your sights are aligned!

Good luck,

Paul

(Edited by phara at 10:03 am on Mar. 5, 2003)

paul, I read where you were talking about your bad experience installing the Weigland.  Now am I correct in assuming this sight replaces the factory blade?  Not the entire sight?  I will gladly pay the extra $15 to have them install it because I don't have good luck with tiny springs.  How do you like your Weigland since you've had it installed for a while?  

Rufus,

I prefer to call my experience a "learning experience" rather than a "bad experience"!

Your right in saying that the sight replaces the factory blade. If you visit his website (which I could not get to work this morning or I would have put the link here) you'll see what the sight looks like.  It's really ingenious.  You take out the old blade out of the slot.  The new blade goes into the slot but is constructed in a way that the the new blade's notch hangs over the rear of the frame.  This way the notch can be cut deeper than the factory notch.  I know this sounds confusing so it's best to take a look at the Weigand web site.

I think it would be worth it to pay the $15.oo to have them do the installation.  But here's the complication.  The Weigand sight is .160 high and is made to replace other S&W sights that are that high also.  The problem is that not all of S&W sights are .160 high.  My 625 came with a .146 high sight.  So what happened is that my factory front sight was not tall enough to work with the new rear sight.  I ran out of elevation before I could get my sights in alignment.

I really like the sight picture of the Weigand sight so I'm going to install a new higher front sight.  As I said it shoots about 6 inches high at 25 yards.  S&W does not make a high enough Patridge sight (around .300).  They do however make a serrated ramp sight at .296 high.  I think this will be high enough so I have ordered it.

But the pinned front sight will also have its share of machinist know-how to install, so I'm waiting until I am sure I can do this correctly.

So, the Weigand sight may work fine on your gun depending on the height of your existing rear and front sights.  The best way to tell is to call or email Jack Weigand.  He is very personable.

Hope I haven't confused you too much!

Paul

PS.  You gunsmithing types out there please feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about as I hope there is a better way to do all this!

(Edited by phara at 1:31 pm on Mar. 6, 2003)

Rufus,

The different heights of the Millet sights are for different barrel lengths. The catalogue indicates which height you should be selecting.

I had a similar experience to Paul when I tried low loads in my S&W M29C. They would shoot high with the rear sight right down. I switched from 240gr to 200gr projectiles and increased the velocity to acheive the same PF. The bullet exits the barrel earlier and the effect of muzzle flip is reduced resulting in a lower point of impact. The same technique is used by metallic silhouette shooters to reduce the required sight adjustments between 50m and 200m.

George D,

Your observations about muzzle flip would explain a thing I was puzzling about.  I put a laser bore sighter in my 625 when I had my original sights on the gun.  The sights were adjusted to point of aim at 25 yards but the bore sighter was projecting the laser dot significantly lower than where my sights said it should be.  So now I understand that the bore sighter was showing me where the muzzle was pointing and my sights were showing me where the gun shoots after taking into account the muzzle flip. Thanks!

Paul