Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge In 9mm

pevadijk

I'm thinking about buying an X-five or a STI Edge and today I held an Edge in my hand at a Dutch gun dealer and it's wonderful!

But since .40 is much more expensive here in Europe I wonder if an Edge in 9mm is just as reliable, because I keep hearing that .40 is a more logical caliber for an Edge.

I also could opt for an Edge in .45 because brass is easier to get than .45 and I guess shooting lead is possible?

So........any advise is welcome!

STI magazines for 9mm can be a challenge. If you shoot factory loaded length ammo and use the spacers in the magazines they work pretty good for the most part. SV mags are easier to get along with, they space the rounds right regardless of front-to-back position in the magazine. SPS might be another alternative, but my experience with them so far is really limited.

Another thing you might consider is having the magazines tuned and getting some of JL Hardy's spacers welded into the STI magazines, if you are going to shoot short loaded 9mm from STI magazines that is probably the best way to go.

The X5 is a really nice gun, I shot one in 40 a little and it would make a very nice Limited 10 gun for USPSA if you like heavy guns. It had a great trigger and was terrifically accurate while being very easy to shoot.

9mm Edge with spacers in mags work fine and with Super mags work most of the time. Very good gun.

My son has the SIG X-5 in 9 mm and it is very nice also. It does not hold as many rounds as the STI and holsters are hard to find. The feel of the grip is very good, too.

My edge has a Roupe grip and it feels better than anything I have used before, but this is something each person must decide on their own.

The real advantage of the Edge is the round count when shooting Limited and the ability to get parts to change the gun around. There is not much out there for the SIG as compared to 1911/2011 parts.

Good Luck, Buddy

9mm Edge with spacers in mags work fine and with Super mags work most of the time. Very good gun.

My son has the SIG X-5 in 9 mm and it is very nice also. It does not hold as many rounds as the STI and holsters are hard to find. The feel of the grip is very good, too.

My edge has a Roupe grip and it feels better than anything I have used before, but this is something each person must decide on their own.

The real advantage of the Edge is the round count when shooting Limited and the ability to get parts to change the gun around. There is not much out there for the SIG as compared to 1911/2011 parts.

Good Luck, Buddy

I really like the X-Five but the fact that a STI is a proven concept, makes me lean towards one and they're very easy to 'personalize', which is not neccesary but fun anyway ;-)

BTW, what is a 'super magazine', is that a magazine intended for .38 super??

Yep, the Super mag is intended to be used in .38 Super, 9x23, 9x21, .38 TJ, and similar ammunition.

I apologize for using slang and not making myself clear.

Yes, both are really good guns, but the STI has the Edge. (pun intended)

Buddy

I have a Edge in 9mm and a open gun in 38sc and use the same magazines.

I have magazines from STI, SVI and SPS mine work just fine never had any trouble with different makers