Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Or 650 For 9mm And .223 ? ? ?

I'm looking for a progressive reloading press. I've been reloading for years, but currently only have a Rockchucker. I once had a Dillon 550, which I had to sell when I moved cross country.

I want to either get a 550 or 650.

I shoot 9mm and .223 only.

I shoot 300-400 rounds a week of 9mm.

I like to shoot, and find little joy in loading 50 rounds of 9mm in a night. So I need a quicker alternative for at least pistol loading.

I really have no interest in batch reloading for any other calibers. All of my .223 shooting is out of AR's, and most of that is for highpower matches - so it needs to be "precision" (at least in HP terms).

My guess is I should just stick with a single stage for my match 223 loads (I use Varget), but was thinking it'd be nice to load some blasting loads on a 650 with a better metering powder. I plan on shooting more 223 plinking loads, but with a single stage, it gets pretty slow for plinking ammo.

How many load .223 on a Dillon 650?

Is switching calibers easy on the 650 like the 550?

Is loading 223 on a 550 a lot faster?

So, should I get the 550 for 9mm AND 223

or...

Get a 650 (with casefeeder) for 9mm and load all my 223 stuff on a single stage?

Hi,

To answer your questions, yes I load my match 223 on a 650 using competition dies with good results. (Before I got the 650 I loaded 223 on a 550.) Have to say though that for my 300-500 meter match loads I throw the powder (Varget, Vitha) with a Harrells dispenser.

The caliber change on a 550 is easier, cheaper and faster than on a 650.

Loading on a 550 is a lot faster than on a single stage but the 650 is faster than on a 550, mostly due to the casefeeder.

keeping in mind the number of rounds you are planning to reload weekly I'd start with a 550.

Cheers from Holland,

BolloX

Got directly to the 650, do not pause on the 550.

Although the caliber conversion is slightly more expensive however it takes no longer to change over than a 550. If you price out a 550 with a casefeeder vs. a 650 with case feeder you are not spending much more for the incresed speed of the 650. You are also getting an auto indexing machine which greatly reduces the chance of a double charge over a manually indexed machine.

+1

I started with a 550 (well, actually, I started with a Hornady Pro-Jector, but my first *Dillon* was a 550).

Before a year had gone by, I sold the 550 and bought a 650. I now have two 650s, and am happy as a clam. (well, actually, I'd love to have more time to shoot, but... am happy with the presses :P )

Main things for me were the auto-indexing of the 650 (makes it *much* harder to screw up and double-charge a case), and the case feeder which, obviously, you can now get with the 550. I also like the extra position available in the 650 which provides extra flexibility. For example, you can add a dedicated neck-sizing die when loading rifle... or a powder-check die, or whatever.

Go for the 650. You won't regret it.

Bruce

Don90,

I have a 550 and love it, although I only load 9mm.

If you have the funds, I would recommend the 650. Easier loading, faster loading, and more accessories.

That being said, you cannot go wrong with either one B)

+1

Main things for me were the auto-indexing of the 650 (makes it *much* harder to screw up and double-charge a case), and the case feeder which, obviously, you can now get with the 550. I also like the extra position available in the 650 which provides extra flexibility. For example, you can add a dedicated neck-sizing die when loading rifle... or a powder-check die, or whatever.

Go for the 650. You won't regret it.

Bruce

Agreed. EGW "U" die, auto indexing, & powder check die have meant zero mistakes for me. Maybe it can be done with other presses (should be anyway). Personally, I like the extra precautions a 650 offers.

one other bonus to the 650 having the extra station in the toolhead is the ability to hook up a KISS bulletfeeder when the time comes. Initially you think that picking up a bullet isn't too big a deal then you load with one and wonder how you would live without it.