Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taking Apart An Sti

packed

Besides field stripping an sti by slide and barrel. I have been told that with the hammer half cocked back the beaver tail end comes out as well. Does any know what I am talking about? If so what would the procedure be? Thank you.

That's close but not quite right. You're best bet would be to use some of the articles on Brazos' website that describe the procedures for takedown.

www.brazoscustom.com Look under the magazine articles and you'll find what you're looking for.

Essentially, what you do is cock the hammer and then wiggle the safety back and forth until you find sort of the middle spot...it's easier to feel than describe. At that point you can pull outwards on the safety until it comes out. You'll likely find that it's a VERY tight fit and it won't want to come out. You may have to use something really thin and wedge it in between the frame and the safety to put outwards pressure on it. One trick involved using something like fishing line and making a loop you can pull outwards on. On my Edge I use a thin piece of metal and use that to pry the safety out...doesn't mark up the frame, but puts enough pressure to get the safety out.

Once you have the left side safety out, you can rotate the right side safety and it will fall out as well. At that point the grip safety will be free to come out.

That's close but not quite right. You're best bet would be to use some of the articles on Brazos' website that describe the procedures for takedown.

www.brazoscustom.com Look under the magazine articles and you'll find what you're looking for.

Essentially, what you do is cock the hammer and then wiggle the safety back and forth until you find sort of the middle spot...it's easier to feel than describe. At that point you can pull outwards on the safety until it comes out. You'll likely find that it's a VERY tight fit and it won't want to come out. You may have to use something really thin and wedge it in between the frame and the safety to put outwards pressure on it. One trick involved using something like fishing line and making a loop you can pull outwards on. On my Edge I use a thin piece of metal and use that to pry the safety out...doesn't mark up the frame, but puts enough pressure to get the safety out.

Once you have the left side safety out, you can rotate the right side safety and it will fall out as well. At that point the grip safety will be free to come out.

Yep; and then it's just a matter of holding your mouth right to put it all back together. ;)

STI grip safties are "notched" ( on the top of the bar that blocks reward movement of the trigger) so that the grip saftey may be removed without having to remove the mainspring housing. I have "notched" all my other 1911 GS in this fashion to facilitate their removal too.

A Dremmel is a "WUNDERFUL" device.

It really is not that bad, pretty easy once you see how it comes apart. I too was reluctant at first, but now I usually completely break down and clean it every 400 rounds, with normal frame/slide/barrel cleanings every 200.

Don't worry about it, you really won't screw it up so long as you don't dremmel anything. You can also click here to see how it all works.

http://www.m1911.org/STI1911animation2.htm

Now, go fourth and clean thy weapon!

I usually completely break down and clean it every 400 rounds, with normal frame/slide/barrel cleanings every 200.

That's TOO much work, detail strip every year or so, and run 3000-4000 rounds before a simple field strip and clean. Just wipe it off every 500-600 rounds and apply a few drops of oil/slide glide and RUN IT.

If I were to clean like that, it would be 10% live fire, 10% dry fire 10% reloading and 70% cleaning. I like cleaning guns less than I like reloading so time management is key for me.