Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P16-bear Creek 180s-4.2 Tg---major?

steel1212

Para guys will that combo with Winchester or CCI SP primers make major with mixed brass or "should"? I'll chrono it when I can get to a chrono but I want to be close.

On a side note anybody got a load for a para with WSR primers with bear creek 180s and TG?

I shoot a Para with WSR primers and titegroup. The length are you loading to would be the big question that needs to be answered. I load to 1.200. 4.2 of titegroup won't make it at that length.

I load to 1.135 and remember they are moly bullets not jacketed.

4.2 of TG with a OAL of 1.20 and WSP primers gets me a 160 pf with a Master Blaster bullet (Looks exactly like a Bear Creek bullet and moly coated also).

I wonder how much 0.065 shorter is going to speed things up?

180 Gr Bear Creek FP Bullet

4.4 Gr Titegroup

1.170 OAL

Win Small Pistol Primers

Made 170.4 Sunday at the Wisconsin Sectional

5" Schuemann AET Barrel.

I need short load data though, 1.135ish to be exact.

4.1 or 4.2 grains of Titegroup will get you really close depending on your barrel. I perfer 4.3 grains of Winchester Super Target and a 180 grain moly bullet. It seems to have considerably less smoke. I have shot about 24 lbs of WST in the last few years with cast and moly bullets.

I forget to tell you this is using Winchester Small Pistol (WSP) primers.

Edited by Dave C

4.1 or 4.2 grains of Titegroup will get you really close depending on your barrel. I perfer 4.3 grains of Winchester Super Target and a 180 grain moly bullet. It seems to have considerably less smoke. I have shot about 24 lbs of WST in the last few years with cast and moly bullets.

ARE you loading long? 1.170 ish.

I borrowed the ranges chrono today. Its a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono plus. Things just weren't adding up though...or should I say added up to much!!

Ok it was 87 degrees and here are the loads and I'll just list the avg FPS the chrono gave me.

all loads are with 180gr bear creek molys.

CCI small pistol primers

4.2 tight group

Winchester nickel plated brass

1.135 OAL

1124.2 FPS

202.356 PF!!

Same as above but with Win yellow brass

203.706 PF

Same as above but Winchester Small pistol primers

1137.1 FPS

204.678PF

Winchester small rifle primers

4.0 tight group

winchester yellow brass

1.135 OAL

1102.1 FPS

198.378PF

Same as above but winchester nickel plated brass

1129.8 fps

203.364 PF

Winchester small rifle primers

4.2 tight group

winchester yellow brass

1.135 oal

1276.9 fps

229.842PF

Same as above but winchester nickel plated brass

1259.2 fps

226.6 pf

This just doesn't make since to me. According to this data I would need something around 3.8 grains to be close to the floor.

You are right, it does not add up. How close was your muzzle to the chrono? I suspect you may have been too close and chrono'ed more than bullet speed. I ususally try to get about 15 feet away from my chrono ( that is farther than necessary, but it works for me )

You are right, it does not add up. How close was your muzzle to the chrono? I suspect you may have been too close and chrono'ed more than bullet speed. I ususally try to get about 15 feet away from my chrono ( that is farther than necessary, but it works for me )

A good 10-15 feet away.

I'm going to stick with 4.2 for now until I can get a buddies Pact out to the range and use it.

Edited by steel1212

ARE you loading long? 1.170 ish.

No, I load 1.135 to 1.150 depending on the shape of the bullet.

A good 10-15 feet away.

I'm going to stick with 4.2 for now until I can get a buddies Pact out to the range and use it.

If you were really shooting a 180 grain bullet 1250 per second, you would surely know it. I have 500 Speer Factory 155 grainers they run @ 1190 fps. I don't like shooting them in any of my 40 caliber handguns. I am not worried about my handguns, I don't like the recoil.

Yeah, I don't have any doubts its the chrono. I've shot WWB .45 for a match or 2 and it was hotter than what these are by far. Like I said I'll just wait until I can get a known good chrono and test it on. My buddies pact gave me about 170 with 4.2 out my XD and it came right on at the local match when they used duel CEDs for us just so we would know where we were if we went to major matches. I'm think 4.2 is gonna be close.

A good 10-15 feet away.

A buddy of mine chronoed his loads over the Weekend similar to your loads. He was averaging about 956 in his para with 4.2 TG with Precisions 185s with 1.140 OAL.

4.2 grains of Titegroup with wsp primers, Precision Moly 180 grain bullets and mixed brass makes major out of my P16. I load to 1.140" so I can use it in my Glocks also.

I've now switched to Montana Gold 180 gr CMJ's, so I'll have to see what they do.

Dan

4.2 grains of Titegroup with wsp primers, Precision Moly 180 grain bullets and mixed brass makes major out of my P16. I load to 1.140" so I can use it in my Glocks also.

I've now switched to Montana Gold 180 gr CMJ's, so I'll have to see what they do.

Dan

Got to chrono it today and its around 177 with WSP and 174 with CCI. I'm going to back it down to 4.1 to try get closer to 170.

The WSP ran from 967-997 avg of 984 fps

The CCI ran from 943-986 avg of 970 fps

I was wondering if I used 4.0 of TG with WSR if that would put me closer to the 170PF range? I can get them just as easy as CCI. If you go by the Chrono I first used, the one that had me in the 200pf range and subtract the averages from my buddies PACT the first one is off by about 153-154 FPS. Using that the 4.0 of TG with WSP is going to avg 949 which is 170....does that make since?

I have a hard time getting WSP locally due to everybody around here using them and getting to the gun store on "THE" primer day. I'm going to try and see if they will order me some just for me though.

Edited by steel1212