Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Are Your Eyes Doing During Transitions?

Shaka

Okay Guys and Gals this is my problem (amongst others).

7 yards with two targets 5 yards apart. Sight picture (boom!), sight picture and eyes move to next target as I fire second round. drive gun to second target fire two. My split is .4 between targets and can't seem to lower my transition time after months of trying. I am getting good clean hits but can't find where I am losing the time or what I should be doing. What are others actually doing with eyes, gun etc.? Any and all comments are welcome.

Single stack, 230gr.

Fire the second shot...THEN snap your eyes to the next target.

Try this. Set up one target (your starting target) and your 2nd target will be a clump of dirt in the berm and 30 degrees off of the starting point. Fire a shot and drive your gun as hard and as fast as possible to the 2nd target and fire a round. Don't worry about hitting anything, just get the gun there as quickly as possible.

After several reps of that, repeat. This time begin slowing the gun down as the gun is coming onto the target. Set up on it a bit more smoothly and fire a round.

After several reps of that, repeat. This time do the same as before but obtain a full sight picture before you fire the shot.

Think of it this way... The gun never stops firing. It's your job to get the gun on target before it fires.

I was pretty slow transitioning too. Last year, early in the year I think, Jake and others were helping someone out and basically the same advise was given. I followed it and it helped tremendously. I can now transition accurately as fast as I can shoot the splits.

In dryfire, again I think this was from Jake but I am not sure, shoot a couple bill drills. If your splits are .20's for example you keep that same cadence across 3 or 4 targets. BE CAREFUL!!!! Don't train your tigger finger to shoot a .20 cadence no matter what, and it is easy to do. I did it. I didn't realize that it could happen being new to the sport, but it really put me in the tank for a while until I realized what was happening and shot the sights again instead of the cadence. Mix up the routine, mix up the practice, keep the cadence from burning in. Yes, I realize I am telling you to shoot a cadence in dryfire, but not to learn it. Use the cadence as a tool to find out where the wasted time is, not as a tool to shoot faster.

I hope this makes sense, it made an incredible difference in my shooting. I picked up 10% in a matter of a few weeks.

Yes Sensei Chang you have told me and more.

I have been in my bubble praticing. all things are coming together but transitions are whupping my butt. I am going out to the range today and will have hopefully made progress with the berm drill suggested.

I will report in later today.

Over and out,

• 1 month later...

Cadence is a very useful tool, but it can't be the only tool in your kit.

When it's appropriate, it rules.

When it's unwarranted, it can slow you down or just plain f you up.

The problem come from preconceived notions of speed, which means that you are setting the speed, rather than shooting the targets.

Use cadence to learn how fast you CAN shoot, then just shoot.

SA

Cadence is a very useful tool, but it can't be the only tool in your kit.

When it's appropriate, it rules.

When it's unwarranted, it can slow you down or just plain f you up.

The problem come from preconceived notions of speed, which means that you are setting the speed, rather than shooting the targets.

Use cadence to learn how fast you CAN shoot, then just shoot.

SA

If you did this, with all of your heart in practice and intention when you LAMR at the match, and it didn't help, maybe basket weaving or horseshoes better fit you.......