Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Guy But Want To Shoot Multiple Divisions - Good Idea Or Not?

Bycyclist

I've been reading these for awhile - great forum, thanks to all the knowledge sharing.

Quick background:

I'm new to firearms, been shooting since last August, took a Burkett class in October, then started competing in my club matches.

Practicing what I learned from Matt, dryfiring, etc., I progressed from near dead last to first place over the last six matches, so now I'm branching out to local and regional IPSC/IDPA matches.

I'm getting a XD9Tac I'm planning to shoot in Production, and I also have a Wilson CQB planning to shoot in SS and possibly L10. For IDPA, same guns for Enhanced and CDP.

I know there is a lifetime of learning ahead of me, I'm just bummed that I waited till I was 41 - at least I can afford this habit now ;)

Quick question - is it a bad idea for an unclassified beginner to shoot multiple divisions in these sports? My thinking is that since I'm carving out the time and money, might as well shoot multiple guns/divisions at each match. Is that usually allowed? Is that a good idea or not?

Quick question - is it a bad idea for an unclassified beginner to shoot multiple divisions in these sports? My thinking is that since I'm carving out the time and money, might as well shoot multiple guns/divisions at each match. Is that usually allowed? Is that a good idea or not?

Usually, it is not allowed for the match (Rule 6.2.3 & 6.2.4). However, US6.2.4.1 allows it at level I matches (local matches) if the match director allows it. I don't see the benefit in doing so, however. What I recommend is that you choose a division that you want to excel in and shoot that division primarily. Occasionally shoot the other divisions to mix in something else. Each division requires different ways of attacking the stage. Since you are a somewhat new, I'd work on your stage strategies with one particular division first before trying to solve it different ways differently all the time. You will fine what works and what doesn't if you keep certain things consistent (in this case, your division). If you feel you are already at that level, then focus on another division. Take it one division at a time. You also mentioned that you want to also shoot IDPA. How about using one gun for USPSA and another for IDPA? Different game, different guns, and you get to shoot something different. IMHO.

Speaking strictly from personal experience. I found it easier to improve while concentrating my efforts to one platform. Success is important especially early on. Shoot your XD a lot and soon enough your shooting the XD well. Grow from there. Just my thoughts mind you, and I'm really not that bright. :blink:

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

If the consensus is to focus on one gun per sport, I'd pick XD9Tac for production, as that's how that's built, and keep my 1911 for IDPA, since my 1911s are my primarily carry gun

...that works.

Jim

Once you know what your goal is you wll be able to answer your own question. If you are just out to have fun and get better shoot as much as you can. I shoot revolver and Limted and these are very different animals. But I want as much trigger time on one day as I can get. Due to family that is all I am willing to use for shooting per month (1 day). If you want to become a master class shooting (quickly) stick with one gun and do it.....Hope this helps what ever you decide I think you are going to have a blast. John