Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&p Or Xd

texaschase

My parts breaking in the XD were after 40-60,000 rounds fired. I loved the gun and had no issues with the grip safety or anything else. But a couple of internal parts were not right. I have been assured it was fixed for good from Springfield. But I will not use them for self defense carry. It is a confidence thing at this point. Who's fault would it be if my XD broke in the middle of a self defense situation?

I don't even feel like I can sell the guns to a third party even with full disclosure at this point. I just use them at club matches where it is low stakes. When they work they are great.

I've been shooting an XD for two years now, and really enjoy the pistol. I purchased it used so no telling how many rounds through it, but I put at least 2,000 rounds through it with no problems. I had Rich at Canyon Creek fit the barrel and perform his magic on the trigger, and I like it almost as much as my much more expensive 1911's.

Bought my XD-40 used with a good 2000 rounds through it. No telling if the guy selling lied to me, but as far as I was told no breakages or major issues. I have fired it once since I bought it a month ago and had to tune the mags but I really do love the gun. When I tested it I was really happy with its consistency and the feel of it. I'll let you know if a have any problems after the next 2k.

joe

Literally every XD in the rental case at the local gun shop has experienced major - as in, the gun no longer worked and had to be sent back to Springfield - parts breakage.

He told me, "I love my XDs. I own three. Of course two of them have had to go back to Springfield for broken parts....

DT,

You might ask them to further define "major parts breakage". Sending it back to Springfield, in this case, isn't defining. As I understand it, Springfield isn't sending any part out...the average joe (even the above average gun shop) just can't get them. Thus, any little thing...gotta send the gun in. :(

That in itself may be reason enough.

M&P parts can be had from Brownell's.

Literally every XD in the rental case at the local gun shop has experienced major - as in, the gun no longer worked and had to be sent back to Springfield - parts breakage.

He told me, "I love my XDs. I own three. Of course two of them have had to go back to Springfield for broken parts....

DT,

You might ask them to further define "major parts breakage". Sending it back to Springfield, in this case, isn't defining. As I understand it, Springfield isn't sending any part out...the average joe (even the above average gun shop) just can't get them. Thus, any little thing...gotta send the gun in. :(

I heard that this isn't the case anymore. Granted, this is just what I've heard, but I've been told that some parts are now available. Can anybody confirm this?

So can some of the XD parts very soon...

DT,

Aftermarket, I'm not sure what the factory is doing, but most all of the important parts will be available.

Sears (factory replacement, reduced travel, and gunsmith fit), sear spring, trigger return spring, mag releases, pins, recoil springs, magazine springs, and guide rods are all available aftermarket. SA sells OEM the mag spring and slide stop.

So, besides the striker, I'm not sure why folks are fretting about parts. Barstock trigger bars might be available shorty also, so there are few parts you can't fix.

I've shot lots of rounds through a couple of mine and only had the striker retension pins break. I've done enough guns to see other stuff go too, but no more than other stock guns.

• 3 weeks later...

After handling both, I went w/ the XD. Nothing against the M&P (except that it didn't feel like it was put together in a good solid fashion), but XD felt good and fit my hand fairly well. Went out and shot it this weekend... very fun. And that's the whole point.

i just got an M&P and i have small hands as well. i would definitly choose the M&P because XD triggers are very long . Also on the M&P almost everything is easy to change. M&P triggers are shorter than the XD so it is easier to reach.

So I say go with the M&P. :D:D:D:D:D