Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternate Powder Measures

I am using the Quick Measure on my 550 to load precision 308. This measure is very accurate and will not cut powder like Varget. I also take it to the range when I am working up a load. The measure and progressive setup will run you about $300. But the quality, precision and versatility make it worth it to me.

Here is the website: http://www.quick-measure.com/progadapter.htm

Edited by R Lewis

For fast pistol loading on any Dillon press, nothing will work better all round that the Dillon measure.

For absolute precision and a wider range of powder type handling, any accessory measure can be adapted, but only at the expense of doing several setps manually to gain the accuracy advantage of a truly better measure (read Harrells here!). It would take a lot of engineering and tweaking to get a 3rd party measure running automatically like the Dillon ones do.

I find that the Dillon ones are fine for anything in any caliber except for where absolute precision is needed (benchrest and LD rifel are about all I feel can't be run on a full progressive with perfectly acceptable results).

Sounds to me like a solution looking for a problem for most loading applications.

To that end, I do run my extreme accuracy rifle loads with an off press electronic measure and then hand dump them in my 550 with the Dillon measure and die removed. This gives me progressive process, but very accurate charge weights.

I personally feel that this type of charge weight accuracy needs a lot more prep elsewhere in the loading process before it even matters. My opinion is that if you aren't segregating cases by headstamp and sorting by weight (just the start of all the other steps needed first), then the powder measure you use is the least of your worries ;-)

George,

I agree with you about brass prep being the biggest component to an accurate round. Assuming you start off with same headstamp, sorting by weight, measuring case necks, turning necks, checking concentricity, uniforming primer pockets and deburring flash holes are all very important steps to precision rounds. Consistant and precise powder drops are just one of many steps.

I have been using the RCBS case activated linkage with a RCBS powder measure on my 550. The jury is still out though. I can load 100 - 200 rounds of 223 fine and than the powder will dump all over the place. Probally I should polish the insides and use a anti-static sheet. I have the micrometer adjustment on the powder measure which is great for load development.