Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first stage is mistake-free

ErikW

I've noticed I almost never make big mistakes on the first stage of the match. Worst I do is shoot a D, or kinda slow, or fast with dropping a lot of points.

I first noticed this back in April when I realized I won every first stage I shot in the month of March.

Then Saturday, with my Open gun (hadn't touched it in a month) I executed my first stage movement so perfectly it was eerie. My body and gun just kept moving to the next target despite the obscured vision and tightness of the through-the-barrel positions. Two seconds faster than the next guy, down a few Cs and D.

This has got to have something to do with the whole subconscious shooting thing, not making an effort, not trying, just being there and doing it without an expected result.

After the first stage, my mind says, "Now it's time to get in the game, get better hits, move faster, shooter faster splits..." and then shjt happens.

Thats awesome...

I wonder what this sport would be like if there was a "warm-up" area for live fire?  Like in any sport, you most likely perform better with a warm up (golf, basketball, all track events come to mind).  But there is that occassion where it just clicks right out of the gate.  My guess is that it is mental, as opposed to physical in our sport.

You must have eaten your Wheaties.

My best match ever I started at the function fire range. Had to put some rounds through to feel the recoil, so it wasn't so surprising. Three years later, I don't feel the need to do that anymore.

But I think a warm-up area wouldn't do much good for the subject at hand. When you know it counts for score, it's different. A warm-up stage may just make it worse.

Did you notice what was different about that day in your first post?  Your mood, amount of sleep, diet, anything?

Its weird how little things make a big difference.  Best round of golf I've played was with a monster hangover the day before my wedding.  After I thought about it, I figured out that was the only round I've ever played relaxed, thats why I did as well as I did.  Same goes for sleep, or more to my point, lack there of.  I find it amazing how well I perform some things when I'm dog tired.  You would expect the opposite.

Actually that match was a few days long. Only my second out-of-town match. Slept in and rushed to the range the first day, then shot a really good first stage. Other than that, I guess the main thing is I had no expectations. And I was kind of wary of pumping up my loads from 175 to 184 power factor.

My first stage yesterday was a little on the slow side, with a damn fine score considering all the partials and lack of available A zone space. Shot another whole 5-stage match penalty-free, with one or two Ds. First A class in Open. Went to bed at 3 AM, got up at 7:30 AM.

I think I have the opposite experience on my first stages.   I shoot better after a few stages and I am "warmed up".   However, I REFUSE to try and "warm up" on the practice range or function fire range.  That is a crutch I don't want to "need", and a habit I don't want to get into.  BE talks about that in THE book I believe.  I think I need to do some re-reading (again).   Thanks for the thread.

I've always had the warm-up trouble. The worst was sprint racing for 8 two-minute laps of Sears Point. I'd get warmed up around lap 6 or 7. Got into off-roading, 2 to 5 hours of racing where I can afford to warm up.