Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S & W Two Piece Barrels

David Sinko

A few questions about the new S&W two piece barrels...

How easy is it to shorten these things?

Will the older barrels fit the new guns?

Has S&W ever offered a full lug 4" barrel for an N Frame .357 and if so does anybody know where one could be found?

Dave Sinko

Hmmm, let's take the hardest part first: how are you going to unscrew and re-torque the barrel? As I recall, S&W uses a special "wrench" that fits the rifling inside the bore.

Solve that problem, and shortening the barrel is easy (lathe work, cut & re-thread) and shortening the shroud is either mill and, or just file work.

I'd do a whole lot of thinking and planning before undertaking that project.

Thanks. The reason I ask is I just saw one of those tactical 8 shot .357 SWAT type revolvers for sale and was thinking how nice it would be to get rid of my gamey 8 shot .38 Super and get something more powerful, versatile and useful. I couldn't tell if that gun had a ported barrel or not and it was a bit too long for my tastes. I'm not so sure I'd want a gun with that kind of barrel configuration. On the other hand, if I hang a flashlight on the end of that barrel, I don't have to worry about the magazine feeding properly, now do I?!

Dave Sinko

What do you want for that old, useless, kicked to the curb, gamey(does it stink real bad?) 8 shot, .38super(is that still a caliber?) revolver. It cant be worth more than a couple bucks :)

Doug

I'll probably kick myself.. But I guess I could give a couple of bucks for it. ....Insert gosh darnit emoticom here...

What do you want for that old, useless, kicked to the curb, gamey(does it stink real bad?) 8 shot, .38super(is that still a caliber?) revolver. It cant be worth more than a couple bucks :)

Doug

I'll probably kick myself.. But I guess I could give a couple of bucks for it. ....Insert gosh darnit emoticom here...

I was going to offer to take it off his hands at no charge being the sport I am. I don't even have any of that antique brass :rolleyes:

Doug

I was going to offer to take it off his hands at no charge being the sport I am. I don't even have any of that antique brass :rolleyes:

Hell, I'd split the shipping with him

A few questions about the new S&W two piece barrels...

How easy is it to shorten these things?

Will the older barrels fit the new guns?

Has S&W ever offered a full lug 4" barrel for an N Frame .357 and if so does anybody know where one could be found?

Dave Sinko

It's not if you want it to function.

No. The barrel is a different diameter and the shroud is keyed to the frame.

No. If an N-frame 357 is not heavy enough for you, try duct taping a brick to the underlug.

Craig

Edited by Bones