Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much detail do you notice

mcoliver

I realized I've only been concerned with the notch,  the FS in the notch and how much target covers the space in the notch.  I've never bothered with how my Novak sight looks like in relation to the target, where the target perfs are intersecting the sights, the shape of the rear end of my slide, how my weak thumb sticks out at 10 o'clock, the excess grip frame at the bottom of my palm.  I'm not sure how this would help my shooting but it hit me real hard to suddenly notice these details. Now I wonder how much more info I am just carelessly discarding.

Awareness is one of the keys to high performance. I remember the day I shot the entire stage and just remember hearing the echos in the hills. That's also relaxation, trust and a couple other traits.

Work on awareness its crucial to your development. A trick is to study your front sight or dot. Do you really "see" it in competition? I remember my .45 front sight and seeing the little bright spot on the top. But you can input so much more. My current dot is a egg shaped blur and has a smear on the left.

I love to hear shooter finding new awareness such as this.  Often people will ask me after a local match "So How'd ya shot?"  I love to watch there inqusitive minds start to roll when I say "I had great vision today".  Most don't understand what I mean, but the seed is planted.  

George

My little dirty secret. My eyes suck.:) I do have astigmatism and have it corrected.  I was speaking about being aware. If you are not noticing this kind of detail then you could benefit by working on it. If you study your front sight you can pick up details like shiny spots at the edges. What I was trying to speak about is that you can also see this shooting .15 breaks if you just become aware if it. For me its really is like a light bulb turned on.