Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Drill

ap3

In an effort to try and get better/faster with my rifle I have been doing this drill which is focused on first shot speed and target transition. I just wondered if anybody else has tried this and has comparitive times.

The Drill: 3 targets at 50 yards and 10 yards apart. Port arms and on signal 2 shots each target with any shots outside of A/C count as a miss. I use steel targets that are the size of the A/C zone because 50 yards is a long way to walk and tape.

Variation of the drill: Same set up but you start 5 yards away from the shooting box and have to run into the box before engaging targets.

My times with no misses range from 4.85 to 5.20 on the basic drill. ( I know I am slow)

On the variation my times range from 6.5 to 7.2 with no misses.

Anybody else tried this drill? Have any comparitive times?

Thats not that slow! Now when you are doing it try to use the same shooting cadence for all shots so you don,t hear any difference in your transitions and your two shots on target, after a little while you find an extra second off that time. This here drill will really tell you if you have to much tension on the fore-end of the rifle. We were doing something very similer yesterday; 4 targets with at least 7-13yd between, and 3 shooting boxes 15 yards apart at 50. total time was around the low 14s to high 16s. What a grerat drill you have there AP3 KURTM

On your drill I don't think I understand how you are using the 3 boxes. Did you double tap the four targets, change box double tap 4 targets, and then change boxes again for a final double tap?

I have been trying to use dryfire drills that match live fire drills since 3 kids, a wife, and a job keeps me from going to the range on a regular basis.

this senario you have setup is what was shot in the area 6 3-gun champ in 2004.......Stage #4 "Magnum Vice Prez"..... But with a reload and a extra target

stage was:

4 ipsc targets about 2 yards apart at 50yrds.......signal, 2 on each paper, reload and 2 on each paper.

http://www.uspsa-area6.org/matches/2004a63gun_results.pdf

there are the scores, so you can see what people where running in tactical/open/limited (standard) setup rifles......

i hope this helps...

Yes, it does help. The only difference is I am putting the targets 10 yards apart to make the transition a little harder. At least these results will help me calculate an average per target.

Mikey!!!! yer not supposed to practice right before a match, mate!!!!!

it'll just screw up yer performance, and expectations......... :P

besides i can't practice my shotgun reloads, due to a torn tendon in my left elbow. so technically yer just CHEATIN' :(

See ya soon..........Oh, and remember, as always, yuer ronge :lol:

Trapr

What helped me the most with off hand shots was to get a 22 LR upper and shoot 8" plates from 10 to 50 yds. After a couple of cartons (1000 rnds.) I didn't suck near as bad. The upper will pay for it's self in ammo savings and translates well to the full power AR. Keith

Traps,

That wasnt me posting, that was Miller, he just wasnt paying attention to who was logged on - now he has made me look like I kinda know what I was talking about ! :o

We tried this yesterday and with good hits we were in the 3.5 range - best run was him at 3.11 but he got a little tactial on the trigger and got a D - crazy kid.

Give us a bell later and make your practice excuses in person ! :D

• 1 month later...
Which steel targets are you guys using for this? (manufacturer, or where do you recommend getting them from?)

Artsen targets http://www.arntzentargets.com/

GT Targets http://www.gttargets.com

MGM http://www.mgmtargets.com

There is also a guy on ebay that is selling steel targets ata real good price, and he will custom make the size. He is in Oklahoma city, so if you don't have to pay shipping you can really save some money. I use AR500 with a hole cut in them so I can run a bolt through it to a 2x4 that sits within a stand as an upright. I put a spring between the steel and the 2x4, so the energy of the bullet is absorbed better and you can hear a nice ding when hit.