Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga 12 - Pistol Grip Conversion Or Ace Adapter ?

I have a new-production Saiga 12. I want to replace the original "sporter" stock with a fixed stock and pistol-grip. It appears I have two options:

Option #1) Perform a true pistol-grip conversion, bringing the gun back to original factory "assault shotgun" appearance. This is basically what Tromix does, except that I will do it myself. I have the tools, and the instructions look straight forward. The result of this conversion would be a shorter and more elegant gun, IMHO.

Option #2) Bolt on an Ace adapter with the stock of my choice. Obviously, installing this adapter would be fast and simple, but would also make for a longer and less elegant gun.

The application will be "light relief" Practical Shotgun/3-gun, as its not legal in my usual Tactical/Limited division.

For me, any cost difference between the two approaches is unimportant. Also, before anyone mentions 922, I will be SBSing this gun on a Form 1, so there is no issue with the US parts count :D .

Help me decide... wWich way should I jump ?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

You should really ask this question over on the Saiga-12 Forum. They have a lot more experience on the subject and Tony would probably help you out if you post any questions. A lot of guys have already converted their guns and can lend a hand. In another year this site will probably have a lot more Saiga information available. FWWIW I chose the Ace stock because my rifle has the same thing on it.

"Option #1) Perform a true pistol-grip conversion, bringing the gun back to original factory "assault shotgun" appearance. This is basically what Tromix does, except that I will do it myself. I have the tools, and the instructions look straight forward. The result of this conversion would be a shorter and more elegant gun, IMHO."

On a 20 gauge saiga I own, I went with this option using US made S2 parts and US furniture. I have 2 of the soviet 10-round factory mags and 5 of the regular 20 gauge 5 rounders. I think it is a better way to go - esp since you are going to the extra trouble of the form 1. I used the web intructions. One note of caution - the receiver is so thin & the barrel unweildy that its hard to hold in a mill vice. I ended up using the dremel and files more than I planed.

You should really ask this question over on the Saiga-12 Forum...

Already done, but I value the 3-gun prespective here too.

I used the web intructions...

Thanks for the first-hand feedback Carlos. By the way, did you eliminate the redundant rear rivets completely, or did you use the binding post approach to leave them in palce ?

I did the conversion myself with all the info from the Saiga12 forum. I elminated the rear holes with the Tig and I used E-clips from Home Depot to retain the hammer and trigger pins. I've found them easy to put in and take out. I was going to leave the holes but I used a weld on trigger guard from Tromix so while the welder was out...

The ACE stock mounted with their reciever block gave the right length of pull (with a 1" pad). After cutting the tang off, the block fit tightly in the receiver and is really solid.

Get your parts from Tony at Tromix or BlackJack Buffers.

The conversion was easy, I think it took me longer to do my first reload.

Edited by GTOSHootr