Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Egw U-die Question

G-ManBart

Hey all,

I decided to tap into the stash of once-fired .40 S&W cases I have for loading practice ammo. Up until now I've used only brass that's been fired in my STI to load for it so there wouldn't be any problems. So, I ordered an EGW U-die and set it up in the old Lyman T-Mag II and started sizing tumbled once-fired cases. They're Winchester cases that have all been Glocked. When I size them I'm still getting some that have a little band at the bottom that doesn't resize down enough to go all the way into the case gauge. They'll chamber fine in the gun, but I can see the band, and the gauge shows it. It's pretty small, but makes me wonder. I carefully checked those cases and they're going all the way into the die, and the die is properly adjusted to lightly touch the shell holder when the ram is all the way up. Could it just be that the shell holder is a bit taller than some? Anybody else see this happen?

I'm thinking of just culling out the cases with the band and when I have enough, load up enough for a match and not worry about picking them up afterwards. Any other ideas? Thx,

I had to thin out the shell holder on an RCBS press for this reason. If you have the die kissing the shell holder you will need to thin it out. The U-die will go ALL the way to the bottom when you get it set up right.

I had to thin out the shell holder on an RCBS press for this reason. If you have the die kissing the shell holder you will need to thin it out. The U-die will go ALL the way to the bottom when you get it set up right.

Well, I'm using an RCBS shell holder, so that might be the problem. I was thinking that taking just a bit off the top of the holder would do it. Thanks!

The base of the case is over expanded. Resizing can weaken the web, and cause head separations.

I toss them.

.40 brass is cheap.

I have not seen this from factory loads, even in glocks. Usually means somebody is loading overpressure, and/or they have a hugely oversize chamber.