Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4 Leaf Spring

Mo Zee

Can some one please explain the uses of the four different springs. I haven't a clue what they do. 2.gif

Another Question:

I have two identical caspians. I was having a problem on one of the guns so I decided to swap the leaf springs around. Is that a good idea or should I rather take it to my gunsmith. I am going to see if the gun works properly after work? Would this at all affect my trigger pull?

Thanx

Just one more comment. If you do alot of radical bending on this spring, only load two rounds the first test fire, it is not likely that you will cause a problem here, but better safe than sorry...                      Travis F.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are referring to the Clark style four leaf spring. It was made to be able to "tweak" the spring more. The ones I used always went tits up on me at a match, after I checked poundage on my scale, Last one was notably at the SingleStack Classic. I dont have them in my competition guns anymore and would not have it in a serious gun. My .02$ Doug

Mo Zee,

The spring that you refer to is a Clark 4 leaf sear spring. I believe Kings also puts them out.

If you look at the spring from the back (just like it would sit in the gun) the leaf on the left, with the hook, puts spring pressure on the sear. The next leaf to the right is the trigger return, the next one is to push up on the disconnector and the one on the right is for the grip safety.

I have these springs in all my competition guns (6) and have had no problems. The one has had over 50,000 rounds through it and I'm still on the original spring.

They can be difficult to tune. Just remember as soon as you tweak one leaf it causes the others to act differently. Follow the 2 round rule and you'll do fine.