Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Match In B'ham Al

STEEL CITY TACTICAL RIFLE MATCH – SPRING 2007

When: Saturday, March 31st. Start Time: 10:00am - Shooter’s meeting 9:45am.

No pre-registration necessary.

Where: Steel City Range – Birmingham, AL. Lower action shooting ranges

See the range website for range info. www.scssa.org

Match Fee: $20.00 per shooter. Plaque trophies awarded to the top 3 finishers

What You Will Need:

The match will consist of 6-7 stages of action rifle shooting. Any detachable box

magazine, semi automatic rifle will work. You’ll need at least 3ea reliable 20-30rnd

magazines. Be prepared to shoot at least 150 rounds.

Match Overview:

This will be a “tactical” match that will involve shooting both IDPA paper targets and

various steel figurines. It is not IPSC or IDPA per se, but will incorporate elements of

both styles of shooting. The goal is to have an enjoyable match that will incorporate the

use of good tactics with the carbine. For example, use of cover will be encouraged both

through stage design and the spirit of competition. The bottom line is to have a fun,

competitive match that will hopefully sharpen our tactical rifle skills. Most targets will

be 50 yards and in, but the use of props and hard cover will definitely challenge your

shooting skills. There will be one stage with steel flash targets (10” plates) out to around

150-175 yards.

Rifle Configuration And Optics:

In order to keep the 1st match simple and easy to score, everyone will shoot in the same

class. Rifles may have muzzle breaks, and can be equipped with one optic, either a dot or

scope (iron sights only are OK, but irons will shoot in the same class as everyone else).

Back up iron sights (BUIS) are permitted (and may be necessary on one stage). A sling

or carry strap is required. Shooting supports such as bipods, shooting sticks etc are not

allowed. Down the road, we might consider adding more categories ie: “iron sights

only”, but for the first match, we’ll all shoot together.

Scoring:

Steel must be knocked down or activated (flash targets) to neutralize. Paper IDPA targets

will be neutralized with sufficient points. Shooting a “major” caliber (.308) and accurate

shooting from a minor caliber (.223 or 7.62x39) will be rewarded on the paper. Target

scoring and examples of neutralized targets will be fully discussed and explained at the

shooter’s meeting prior to the match.

Questions? Contact:

David Tapp dkjtapp@aol.com

Ron Holland ronholland@bellsouth.net

• 2 weeks later...
STEEL CITY TACTICAL RIFLE MATCH – SPRING 2007

When: Saturday, March 31st. Start Time: 10:00am - Shooter’s meeting 9:45am.

No pre-registration necessary.

Where: Steel City Range – Birmingham, AL. Lower action shooting ranges

See the range website for range info. www.scssa.org

Match Fee: $20.00 per shooter. Plaque trophies awarded to the top 3 finishers

What You Will Need:

The match will consist of 6-7 stages of action rifle shooting. Any detachable box

magazine, semi automatic rifle will work. You’ll need at least 3ea reliable 20-30rnd

magazines. Be prepared to shoot at least 150 rounds.

Match Overview:

This will be a “tactical” match that will involve shooting both IDPA paper targets and

various steel figurines. It is not IPSC or IDPA per se, but will incorporate elements of

both styles of shooting. The goal is to have an enjoyable match that will incorporate the

use of good tactics with the carbine. For example, use of cover will be encouraged both

through stage design and the spirit of competition. The bottom line is to have a fun,

competitive match that will hopefully sharpen our tactical rifle skills. Most targets will

be 50 yards and in, but the use of props and hard cover will definitely challenge your

shooting skills. There will be one stage with steel flash targets (10” plates) out to around

150-175 yards.

Rifle Configuration And Optics:

In order to keep the 1st match simple and easy to score, everyone will shoot in the same

class. Rifles may have muzzle breaks, and can be equipped with one optic, either a dot or

scope (iron sights only are OK, but irons will shoot in the same class as everyone else).

Back up iron sights (BUIS) are permitted (and may be necessary on one stage). A sling

or carry strap is required. Shooting supports such as bipods, shooting sticks etc are not

allowed. Down the road, we might consider adding more categories ie: “iron sights

only”, but for the first match, we’ll all shoot together.

Scoring:

Steel must be knocked down or activated (flash targets) to neutralize. Paper IDPA targets

will be neutralized with sufficient points. Shooting a “major” caliber (.308) and accurate

shooting from a minor caliber (.223 or 7.62x39) will be rewarded on the paper. Target

scoring and examples of neutralized targets will be fully discussed and explained at the

shooter’s meeting prior to the match.

Questions? Contact:

David Tapp dkjtapp@aol.com

Ron Holland ronholland@bellsouth.net

GREAT!

Looking forward to it. I've heard this is the best facility in the South.

I'm both sad and glad you can't make it Keith. I'll miss your companionship, but move up a spot in the results.

Mark Hearn

Looking forward to it. I've heard this is the best facility in the South.

I'm both sad and glad you can't make it Keith. I'll miss your companionship, but move up a spot in the results.

Mark Hearn

Mark, glad to see you can make it. Tony and Brent will be their also.

Should be a blast

Lenard

Anyboby know if the scores to this match are posted on the web?

Scores will be posted on the Steel City Sports Shooting Association website shortly. The participants should have gotten an e-mail with scores attached. If you didn't let me know.

We were very pleased with the match and are looking forward to doing another one on Saturday, June 30th. I hope everyone who shot will be back and bring a buddy!

Congratulations to Stefan Wiggins for winning the match.

David Tapp

Edited by dt1

Anyboby know if the scores to this match are posted on the web?

Scores will be posted on the Steel City Sports Shooting Association website shortly. The participants should have gotten an e-mail with scores attached. If you didn't let me know.

We were very pleased with the match and are looking forward to doing another one on Saturday, June 30th. I hope everyone who shot will be back and bring a buddy!

Congratulations to Stefan Wiggins for winning the match.

David Tapp

David,great job on the match! You can count on Tony, Brent and I on the next one.

Lenard

Hope to see Lenard and Tony next time. Leave Brent at home. That boy does know how to shoot. One penalty all day. Fast and steady.

Of course, I don't know what to say about Stefan's performance. Beat me by 100 seconds. (30%). That's just rude. Congratulations Mr Wiggins. Nicely done.

Thanks again David and company for an enjoyable match.

MHearn

Just wanted to add my 02.

Great match David and company!!! Everybody, dont miss the next one..........HOP! :)

It looks like the range is only going to get better too. Lots of dirt movin goin on. It is a nice facility to start with.

Alan