Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tension is the Killer

Steve Anderson

Psyched myself out on double trouble shooting steel this weeked. Got tight and blew it, didn't see anything.

Flex told me what I know and forgot. Even when point shooting you have to see something.

the rest of the stages went fine, but I really tanked that one.

SA

Steve,

I, sadly, speak from experience.   sadness.gif

Tension and trying has put my shooting in the tank over the last month or so.  

By the way...if you see my front sight laying around anywhere...point it out to me.  I haven't seen it for a while.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 11:05 am on June 17, 2002)

The weird thing is...its was only double trouble that I did that on. I was fine for the rest. Call the shot, see what I need to see and all the rest.

On DT, I let the idea that I could force the speed get in my head. Of course I forgot that speed is a byproduct of smooth, and smooth comes from relaxation.

I think the team ancient shirt should be Brian's head on Yoda's body and the caption, "Be relaxed you must, shoot well you will"

SAl

Quote: from Flexmoney on 11:02 am on June 17, 2002

By the way...if you see
my
front sight laying around anywhere...point it out to me.  I haven't seen it for a while.

Kyle,

LOL! Check the front of your slide on the gun..... It should be there!  

I found that shooting steel matches with ten rounders helps ---- If you miss a ten inch plate at fifteen yards three or four times in a row, you start to really worry about running out of ammo before you finish the run.  That forced me to look at the front site much more.  

guys.... your OVER analyzing... i had the same problem you did... it created a lot of misses... pick a gun, get very intimate with it... no don't take it to bed... just shoot it a lot.

its in the Zen. vizualize what you want to do, then let it flow.

(atleast thats what happened to me when i won) then i thought about it and lost my ass the next time. hehehe.

I've been thinking about this all week, and I think I'm thinking too much, I think.

The Book says to let these thoughts run their course, then let them go...blocking them is the same thing as trying not to think about them.

We need to remind ourselves that if we see what we need to see, we cannot miss. Sometimes we doubt this, and try to do dumb things like point shoot an easy stage without even seeing the gun, let alone the sights.

Ah, the journey...

SA

i never suggest blocking thoughts that is a bad thing. but you must trust your self. that will help you relax.

its kind of a mind set of "i know i can"

my lacking is that i want to get to the point of where i can KNOW i Always win. hehehe... if i can do that i will be very happy.. but as in my last match, i beat my self, no one else beat me.

experience has a LOT to do with it too.. you see things differently shooting through a match with Ernest Langdon  is a great eye opener to how little things make large differences.

A great phrase in the hymnal is when Brian says that if you see someone who is not as skilled as you do something extraordinary, it should give more confidence, not less.

I would love to get to see Ernest shoot...I spoke to him a couple days ago about a few gun things, and it was very inspiring...

SA

Steve A. said:

The Book says to let these thoughts run their course, then let them go...blocking them is the same thing as trying not to think about them.

I think there is also something in the book about tracing the thoughts back to their source.  Getting a complete understanding of where the thought comes from...then it disappears on it's own.  (sorry BE, if I mangled that too much)

Steve A. also said:

We need to remind ourselves that if we see what we need to see, we cannot miss.

Funny.  That too is something that I tell everbody that will listen.  It truely is impossible to miss.  (I need to remind myself.)

And, smoney brings up a good point...I'll just pull the book out and quote Brain...

"At the match, I'll trust myself to use what I know at the time I need to use it."  BE goes on to say, "If I have to consciously search for the knowledge and aks myself what I should do and wait to remember it, the shooting is over before that search even begins."