Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Double Action

Nemo

Hi Henning,

Would the differences between the DA/SA trigger mechanism and the single action only, preclude from getting a nice® single action pull from the Elite Stock? Would the EGW sear work in the double action gun?

B)

Thanks,

Hey Nemo,

No. The only difference between the two is that there is a part called an interruptor which is linked to the hammer. What it does it that it allows the trigger bar to be used as a trigger activator. You pull the trigger, the trigger bar is moved back, hits the interruptor which cocks the hammer and the hammer releases as the interruptor releases from the trigger bar. After the first shot, the interruptor mechanism is no longer in use and the regular hammer/sear relationship is in function.

This means that the single action pull on the DA gun is identical to the pull on a SA only gun. You could use an EGW sear since the sear is only used for single action.

A note on EGW sears. Per today you have to use them with the factory hammers and to make them work you'll have to have a gunsmith install it. The hammer hook angles should be cut by a 15 degree angle and it might need some silver solder to match the sear with the ambi safety. Don't buy the sear and expect to drop it in.

That being said, for many-many years I've wanted to revive the old Huening (WCPI) hammers which was a perfect match to the EGW sear. I convinced EGW to make hammers for me and it's in the works. Looks like I'll have complete hammer/sear available in my shop by this summer. The competition hammer will reduce the factory reset, give light and crisp triggers. What I really like about the EGW sears is that they are very hard so once you've done a trigger job they last for a long time. I got hold of some old Huening (WCPI) hammers back in the early 90's that I'm still using ! As for the EGW sear, I redo (stone the same) maybe every 3 years. It's a crisp 2lb trigger.

Edited by sinnsyk

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Henning,

Would the differences between the DA/SA trigger mechanism and the single action only, preclude from getting a nice® single action pull from the Elite Stock? Would the EGW sear work in the double action gun?

B)

Thanks,

Nemo.

I received an Elite Stock from Henning just last week.

To date I have put 600 rounds through it without malfs of any kind.

This included Blazer aluminum, WW White box, WW Silvertips, and 125 JHP and 147gr

handloads.

I can report that the SA trigger is excellent on this gun stock from the factory.

The sear hammer engagement is perfect with no hammer camming what so ever.

The SA trigger is almost equal to the SP01 that Angus did for me.

There is a small amount of creep just before release that I am sure any competent

gunsmith could remove by lowering the hammer hooks.

Although the DA is not gritty by any means, I intend to polish the trigger bars,

plunger etc. and change the hammer spring this weekend.

I like this gun. :D:D:D

PS: Be advised that the sear is not engaged in the DA mode.