Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&p 9mm - Need Feedback On Front Sight Height

I just picked up an M&P 9mm I'm going to run in production. With factory sights, poi is high (about 4" @ 20 yards) with Atlanta Arms 147gr. JHP. Has anyone seen this? I can get a higher front sight from speed shooter specialties, but am probably going to change the rear as well. I like the look of the Burwell and 10/8 rear sights, but want to be sure of the front sight height with this 9mm load or similar. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick-

I have the M&P 40 with a Dawson front site and the Warren tactical rear site.

I can't recommend this combination enough..... It is an awesome site picture. I liked it so much, I'll be doing the same with my single stack pistol (once the Warren tactical rear site becomes available).

The point of aim is the point of impact on my pistol. I know that doesn't help much with your situation, but I'd REALLY look at the combination mentioned above.

They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Maaaan...that is close to perfect. :)

3-4 inches high and I'd be off to the races. Just right for holding the neck line for head shots on paper...holding center of mass for A-zone hits to the body...holding the bottom of a steel plate distance.

3-4 inches high and I'd be off to the races. Just right for holding the neck line for head shots on paper...holding center of mass for A-zone hits to the body...holding the bottom of a steel plate distance.

Are you serious? That would drive me nuts.

Are you serious? That would drive me nuts.

+1 on shooting slightly high at these distances. When shooting classic poppers (the "headless" variety), it helps to keep part of the target visible as a reference, just like Kyle mentioned with headshots on paper, and the plate rack at 15-20 yards, for instance.

Yeah...serious for sure.

I'd very much prefer to shoot a plate rack at 25y by holding the sight picture at the base of the 8 inch plate...rather than covering the plate with the front sight a bunch. 3-4 inches high...equals a dead center hit.

Same on head shots at distance. A neck hold (Charlie - Bravo line) gives a better aiming reference...you get to use the shoulder of the target to make you line (reference point). Hitting 3in high finds the A-zone.

For body shots on our targets, people tend to want to aim for the center of the big brown target...that is not where the A-zone is located. The A-zone is a bit higher than that. At distance, it is easier to hold the center of the target... Hitting high...moves the impact deeper into the A-zone.

Up close, it doesn't matter. The bullet won't be impacting as high...and we have an 11 inch high A-zone anyway.

Thanks for the info. I'll have Speed Shooter Specialties make me up a sight I guess. Not a big fan of FO front sights and although I like my POI to be just above the top of my front sight, 4" is a little high for me. I know what you are saying though Flex.

Thanks,

Nick-

I ain't got time to be doin all that cypherin. I sight my race pistol to hit exactly where my FS is.

Nah...no thinking involved. (If there is, I've already done it for you.)

You just shoot. And, you get to aim at stuff that is easier to aim at. Easier to call the shots.

I stumbled into it when I put a KKM barrel into my Glock 35. Many Glocks, from the factory, tend to hit behind the dot on the front sight (kinda low). Which can get a bit rough as the distance increases...the sight covers the aiming point.

When I dropped my KKM barrel in, I was right at the top of the front sight (pumpkin on post) for most shots that we see. I found, as the distance increased, my impact point was also increasing. Then I found that it was pretty helpful at times. It allowed me to aim at bigger target areas (easier) and with better reference points (easier). And, given that, I had better feedback for calling shots.

I'm back on a stock barrel (got another G35) for now. But, I like the concept.