Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Shaft Binding & Link Pin Backing Out

Lately I've had trouble with my 550B's main shaft binding up. It looked dirty and I cleaned it off best I could, but it seemed to be sticking passing through the frame. I applied Kroil to the shaft liberally, which ran down the shaft through the frame and seemed to dislodge some gunk. I wiped it off and repeated several times and it's better, but still not as smooth as it used to be. Also, I noticed that the upper link arm pin was backing out and I tapped it back in. Looks like it's going to keep backing out though. I'm not sure what is supposed to hold it in.

Is there anything I can do to restore the smooth action of my press or is it time to send it in to Dillon for some refurbishing? I've still got to load up my ammo for the Double Tap championship, so I'm hoping my press will hold out for me! :unsure:

The upper pivot pins are held in by the knurling on the outer edge of the pin. We use grease on the pivot pins and 30 wt motor oil on the shaft. :ph34r:

If the pin is sliding out, does that mean I need to knock it in a little more? One other question, I noticed in another thread that there is an alignment tool needed to put things back together if I take the shaft off. Is this right?

Thanks!

Mike

If the pin is sliding out, does that mean I need to knock it in a little more? One other question, I noticed in another thread that there is an alignment tool needed to put things back together if I take the shaft off. Is this right?

Thanks!

Mike

Dillon sent me an alignment tool at no charge when I replaced the link arms and pivot, mine is a 550, not a 550B. You are welcome to borrow the alignment tool. Let me know, I'll shoot Texas Steel and maybe Impact this week end and can bring it to the match.

My problem was galling in the link arms, could be why Dillon changed them on the 550B. Are you sure it is the main shaft? If the link arm pin is coming out maybe it is sticking to the link arm and that's why it is coming out.

Thanks!

Mike

Dillon sent me an alignment tool at no charge when I replaced the link arms and pivot, mine is a 550, not a 550B. You are welcome to borrow the alignment tool. Let me know, I'll shoot Texas Steel and maybe Impact this week end and can bring it to the match.

My problem was galling in the link arms, could be why Dillon changed them on the 550B. Are you sure it is the main shaft? If the link arm pin is coming out maybe it is sticking to the link arm and that's why it is coming out.

I am leaning towards what CenTx is saying. You can disconnect the pin that holds the link arms to the crank to isolate the problem. I had a link arm gall up on the top pin it pivots on. Dillon sent a replacement for it. You could try to flush the area with lube and work the link back and forth and that may free it.

Austinmike,

If you have to remove the platform to perform maintenance on your 550, call us at Dillon to get an alignment tool and instructions. The upper link arm pins should be flush with the frame. If it continues to creep out, contact us for return authorization to send it in so we can fix it. :ph34r: