Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7625 Loads For 38 Super Revolver

Jaxshooter

That certainly wouldn't be the first powder that came to my mind, for a Minor load in Super. However, as it is very close to Unique in burn rate, and Minor is so below the pressure ceiling for the Super, that you can start with Unique data and check over your chrono.

My guess is, the powder will have a burn rate too slow to be much fun at Minor. You'll probably experience a large SD, lots of residue and unburnt powder, and your extractor star will not be happy.

I'm on the road for the next few weeks so do not have access to my reloading manuals. Check the Hodgdon powder website for IMR powders. They should have data for SR-7625.

I belive you would be much better off using a powder like W-231 or Titegroup for 38 Super revolver loads. I have used 4.5 to 5.0 gr. W-231 behind either 130 gr. Rainier or 124.135 gr. Star FMJ bullets for velocities in the 900 - 1000 fps. The 4.5 gr. W-231 load is particularly pleasant to shoot.

I am trying to find load info for IMR 7625 with 125 gr and 147 gr bullets for my S&W 627 38 Super revolver. I would like a load around 135 PF. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I use 7625 in my 38 super revolver. With a 130gr bullet 5.0gr oal1.270 I get 147 power factor

John

Chris,

Try using about 4.5 ish grains of N320 for a minor load. That's if you can load as long for the revolver as you can for the open gun. That's what I run as a steel load in my open gun. I've also shot that in someones 38 super STI, man it's softer than a 9mm I think.