Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The worst match I ever shot

Matthew_Mink

I posted a short version of this on GT a while back, so this may seem somewhat familiar to some of you.  It's a little long this time, but I think it's worth a read.

I rode with 3 other guys for 3 hours and an overnight stay for a day of humiliation and self induced punishment.  It was my first ever IPSC 3 gun match at a club that I had never been to before.  The previous two big matches I had shot I had smoking results, so I was pumped and ready to go for this one.  When we get there the temperature had dropped to 28°.  No prob, maybe it would warm up.  It didn't, unless you call 32° and constant rain warm.  The day of the match came and we squad up and start shooting.  We started on the shotgun portion.  Not my first choice, since I was using a borrowed shotgun and wanted a little more time to get used to it in the safe area.  My first borrowed shotgun broke in the hotel room the previous night when the owner tried to pull the bolt back.  I was the second shooter and when it was my turn, my fingers were so frozen, I couldn't reload the thing worth a darn.  Plus I had about 10 jams, and you all know Benelli's don't jam.  My day was not off to a good start.  2nd shotgun stage was a repeat of the first.  Finally, done with the shotgun, on to pistols.  I am thinking, great, now I can catchup.  I volunteer to go first, since this stage was written with me in mind.  I only had about 6 jams with my Limited G35, and that thing usually runs 100%.  I knew something was wrong, and then I remembered.  The previous night, me and my roomie had got to clowning around and practicing some, and I cleaned the entire gun except the chamber.  What a moron I was feeling at this point.  The next pistol stage I tried to burn it down because I had 3 bad stages to make up.  I forgot to load my 4th mag and ran out of ammo after a Texas Star.  It was also then I realized my adjustable sights had gotten bumped somewhere between stage 3 and 4, and I had mikes on all of the head shots we had to do.  4 out of 4 stages down the tubes.  We went to lunch where I discussed surrender, or at the very least, going into hiding.  At least the two rifle stages passed without to much incident, so I had 2 clean stages to gauge my rifle performance.

Here is what I learned:  

1.  Practice when it's cold.  Started shooting matches since then no matter what the temperature is.

2.  Have your own equipment.  I really appreciated the loaning of the shotgun(s), but not being used to them I really tanked the 2 shotgun stages.

3.  Don't wait to clean your equipment in the hotel room, unless you are staying by yourself.  Me and Wayne got to clowning around and I got distracted and it cost me a stage.

4.  Don't try to play catchup, it ain't never gonna happen.

5.  Always check your equipment before starting a stage, but everybody knows that already.

6.  And last but not least, never give up.  I actually was 2nd in Limited C class at that match, I don't know how, but everyone else in C must have done just as rotten as I did.

All in all, I learned more from that disaster than I have all the other matches.  Some were lessons relearned.

Good story! A glock jamming? Can't you throw them in the mud, drive over them and, then go diving and shooting somthing underwater? I think you might have fibbed on that part

I now have a few things to add to my dry fire routine:

1. Hop into the shower and turn it full blast cold, then jump out and do 25 draws/reloads then repeat.

2. Get a bucket of ice water and put your hands into it for 30 seconds and then pracitce your shotgun/rifle/ pistol reloads. Repeat the dunking when you can feel your fingers.

Thanks!

Quote: from Loves2Shoot on 12:30 pm on Feb. 20, 2003

Good story! A glock jamming? Can't you throw them in the mud, drive over them and, then go diving and shooting somthing underwater? I think you might have fibbed on that part

Thanks!  The above statement is true, until you add a match barrel, shoot lead ammo during practice and forget to clean the chamber!

On a postive note, Team Sand was formed in its infancy at that match.  Somehow or another, most of the C class shooters finished near the top, and we have been Team Sand ever since.

(Edited by Team Sand Captain at 12:49 pm on Feb. 20, 2003)