Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Glock Trigger Spring

SA Friday

I had a fellow shooter broke his Wolfe trigger spring today at a match. I function checked his G34 to try and figure out what was wrong, and found something interesting. If I racked the slide while depressing the trigger, the trigger would reset as I let if go forward. It wasn't normal though, there seemed a lot more push as I let it slowly reset. Also, if I didn't ride the trigger when I racked the slide, the trigger would not reset. It stayed decocked.

I then took the slide off and saw the trigger spring was broken, pretty much as has been discussed here before. So, I got to thinking (yep smoke and everything). I wonder if this is a normal result from a broken trigger spring. If it is, it would seem these results would ID the problem pretty quick without disassembly.

Anyone else see the above from a broken trigger spring?

Edited by SA Friday

A few years ago I zero'd a stage at the Aware match due to a broken trigger spring and not knowing what it was, and that I could push the trigger foward after each shot to get it reset. Since then it has broken in practice a few times but you know right away what it is after one incident. I also put a new spring in before any important match as a matter of course now

Hey SA-

Were we shooting in the same squad when mine broke a few months ago? The spring must have broken on the prior stage. After buzzer on next stage, glock would not fire. I did slap, rack [no bang]. Mag change - nothing. Another couple of slaps and racks and finally a bang. Shot the rest of the stage fine, although the trigger reset felt really funky. After stage, spring was clearly broken right where it makes the 90 degree curve at the attachment end.

So, I believe the spring was broken before I even tried the first shot, and I am not sure exactly what I did during the slapping/racking that enabled the gun to work. But, once it started to work, it continued to work. After that stage, I just switched my G34 bottom with the bottom on my G17 spare gun.

I have switched back to factory spring. I actually prefer the reset with the factory spring over the extra weight spring.

How did you shoot this weekend? Take care.

-br