Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

J Point Mount For Saiga-12

SinistralRifleman

I tried a new optics set up on my gun this past weekend...an OKO mounted on a weaver rail that attaches to the side rail on the Saiga-12. It turned the gun into a bolt action as shells wouldn't eject propperly as there wasn't enough clearance. It was driving me nuts until I figured out it was the optics mount causing the problem, it looked exactly like a not enough gas issue. Removed the optics mount and it cycled flawlessly for over 150 shells, firing as fast as I could change mags and reload them.

Anyway, this got me thinking about optics choices. Is there a J-point mount that would already work? All the Saiga-12s have a dove tail on the gas tube that would be perfect for a no gunsmithing required install. Should we try to talk JP into making some?

Russell,

Couple of options. Here's the JPoint mount that I use. It's practically indestructable and gets the job done big time. Contact Tom directly and he'll take care of you (tell him I sent you).

AMS Machine JPoint/Docter Mount

As for mounting it to the gun, I don't know much about Saiga's but we have a rail system that you can do too. I've been told though that it doesn't work on the newer model Saiga's. Contact Tom or Marin (at Guns Plus) for details.

Hope that helps.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

All you need to do is take out the rear site and cut more of a dove tail to match it up to your site Benny Hill 361-241-1091 did mine and it works very well.

You have to call him on this product

Edited by superfly

Well, If I could get my camera to work, I'd take pictures of the mount designed by Dr. McCoy... It has a dove tail insert with two screwholes to secure his mounting bracket. It is not as nice or as low as Benny's but doesn't require milling. I'd point everyone to him but he has at least temporarily retired from shooting. :wacko:

bill

Not sure with the S-12's, as I had not switched over to the Saiga in competition before I was kicked out of the country last year. I was still running this beast: http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag..._2_dec05_sm.jpg

Reloads are six of one tuber gun, ten of a mag gun though ;)

With Liota's S-20 and a half hour of practice after we got her shotgun built, I was hitting two second shot to shot reloads, though. The extended mag catch and the undercut bolt seemed to help. I am looking forward to practicing with a shotgun half the weight (and with a faster cycle time) of my old one, once I am allowed back in The World :ph34r:

Alex

Edited by Wakal

Hi Alex and Bill,

How can I purchase one of those Docter mounts for my Saiga 12's dovetail slot? How much are they? They look great and it would sure beat using the rather high side mount that positions the optic right above the receiver, which is too close to my face for me.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

They are slick, that is for certain. I tried the side-mount rails too, and didn't like them either.

Dr. McCoy seems out of reach, so you should probably contact the nice Mr. Hill (www.triangleshootingsports.com) about his system instead :)

Alex

Alex,

Remember those last five 10 rounders you used to have? They work fine :) I paid/will pay Liota for them next weekend! I hope AGP makes another run soon so you can have some too...:)

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Although the thread seems to have mysteriously vanished <_< , unconfirmed data indicates that talented Saiga artist Tony Rumore is coming out with a Doctor/Jpoint sight mount for the Saiga factory dovetail. It looks rather like the Jpoint mount for the ACOG that JP makes (with the protective "ears") :)

http://www.tromix.com/

The rumor mill indicates that they will be available in April, and will go for about $115. Heck of a deal. I'm in for a couple, even if I don't see a reason for the "zombie killer" ears :P

Alex

He used an 1911 mount on mine and cut out the dove tail a little bit will post pics later.

Benny,

Could you create a JPoint/Docter dovetail mount in which we could install ourselves or do we need to send our Saiga 12 to you to do the job? Thanks in advance for your comments.

My post about it was considered an "ad" and the post was deleted, and I got a warning for it.

In respect for the board owner's wishes, I won't be posting any new speed shooting goodies on this site anymore.

Tony

Edited by TonyRumore

MY JP and my New Big Stick what do you all think? Thanks Mark

He used an 1911 mount on mine and cut out the dove tail a little bit will post pics later.

Benny,

Could you create a JPoint/Docter dovetail mount in which we could install ourselves or do we need to send our Saiga 12 to you to do the job? Thanks in advance for your comments.

post-1960-1173836547.jpg

Edited by superfly