Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rcbs Lock-out On A 550

Anyone set up a powder cop on station 3 and seat/crimp on station 4? How is it working for you? What about the ergonomics of placing the bullet in station 4 ? I was thinking about trying it but I'd like an evaluation from those that have done it. Thanks.

Bronson7

It would make the right hand pretty busy, grabbbing the new brass, the bullet and the pulling the handle. The left would only index?

Seems like it would slow me down too much.

And, I prefer to seat crimp seperately (although not all my 550 tool heads are setup this way).

Also, I've never had problems wth the 550 dropping powder (I did put a powder checker on my 1050 - way more things going on there - lol). I think most people that are really concerned go with the 650

That's just me...

It would make the right hand pretty busy, grabbbing the new brass, the bullet and the pulling the handle. The left would only index?

Seems like it would slow me down too much.

And, I prefer to seat crimp seperately (although not all my 550 tool heads are setup this way).

Also, I've never had problems wth the 550 dropping powder (I did put a powder checker on my 1050 - way more things going on there - lol). I think most people that are really concerned go with the 650

That's just me...

I see your point. I've gone thru some movements using my left hand to get to station 4 and it seems doable, but in reality I don't know. If I had to use my right hand to set the bullet, I'm like you: No way. I'm also a proponent of crimping in a separate operation but would be willing to try the single operation method providing the bullet seating ergonomics (left hand) worked out. Thanks BerKim.

Bronson7

• 4 weeks later...

That is the way mine is set up it works well there is no need to place a bullet in station 4 place it in station 3 AFTER pulling the handle but BEFORE advanceing the shell plate. No the bullet does not fall off.

The lockout die has saved my bacon exactly twice and both times happened when I was brand new to the machine.

That is the way mine is set up it works well there is no need to place a bullet in station 4 place it in station 3 AFTER pulling the handle but BEFORE advanceing the shell plate. No the bullet does not fall off.

The lockout die has saved my bacon exactly twice and both times happened when I was brand new to the machine.

Duh, why didn't I think of that! Yeah, no need to set the bullet on case in station four. I'll get with my brother on setting the seating die to seat and crimp. He's a pro at it and turns out some very nice rounds. Thanks, Kings River.

Bronson7

• 7 years later...

This is an old post from 7 years ago that I'm hoping others can add their recent experiences to the question: Does the RCBS lock-out die on a 550 mess up the ergonomics of the loader and process?

I'm struggling to decide between a 550 or 650 and for emotional reasons need to use the RCBS lock-out die to double check my work.

My shooting volume is small 300 to 500 rounds per month and I'm only planning to load 9mm for steel challenge and production.