Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Attitude

LittlePistol

Okay, now that I have spent a good part of the last week being completely addicted to this forum...thanks a lot Kevin! :P I have yet to find a topic on attitude. Lots on etiquette and responsibilities, safety and fun, but nothing on having a competitive attitude. I mean this is a competitive sport, so what's a newbie to do when trying to determine the proper attitude to maintain both in practice and in competition?

First let me start by saying: WOW...I didn't realize that there was so much information out here. Needless to say, I am really impressed. I am also a bit overwhelmed. I shot my first USPSA match 2 weeks ago and have since started reading the forums (which are as addictive as the sport!). As I look back at my first match, I am beginning to realize that I can't remember a darned thing about how I shot! I have learned so much, that my brain is on overload. :blink: Is this normal? :(

Secondly, I am trying to figure out where my starting point is, so I can figure out where I need to go next. My mentor is a class B shooter (darn close to an A shooter if he didn't make it with his last classifier) and after a couple months of practice, I am shooting, on average, about 1/3 as well as he does overall. I have been paying attention to our times when we practice as well as analyzed the results from the last match where we were both in the same division (L10). He won the division and my percentage was 32%.

Disclaimer: Please don't misunderstand where I am coming from with this post. I am having a blast shooting USPSA and being safe and having fun are my #1 priorities, but I am also extremely competitive in nature and want nothing more than to improve. If I don't have a goal to strive for (eg. one day out shooting my mentor :P ) I tend to get a bit discouraged.

I guess I am just trying to see what the general consensus is. My buddy has taught me a lot (ok, just about everything) I know about this sport and I respect his opinions and advice above all else, but IMHO advice is free, so why not try to get as much of it as possible.

Q: Is this a good attitude to take into the sport or do I need to concentrate on my own scores and not worry about competing until I get a little better (ie. get that dreaded "U" out of my "Classification" column)?

I would have to say the first thing you need to do is totally ignore the "classification" column.

It is definetely normal to have an overload...especially after your first trip to this forum.

Your best bet would be to establish a training log. Set yourself up with a regimented program of dry fire and live fire. Work on your weaknesses. Record times and points so you can see your progress or lack there of.

Learn as much as you can...but specifically learn the traps and pit falls that happen to most newer shooters.

Also remember...you get out of training what you put in. If you truly are committed to improvement it's gotta be done whether you are tired, too cold, too hot, or when it's too hard.

(This is all assuming you want to do this as a sport rather than a hobby.)

JDV,

In answer to your question, I would like to participate in this as a sport - it's great fun and IMHO something I have a bit of a "natural feel" for.

You mentioned learning the "traps and pit falls that happen to most new shooters." Could you expand on that a bit please?

LP,

Based on your opening comments, you are already at the edge falling into traps and pitfalls. Don't worry, most all of us have done it, and we were told to avoid it too!

Shooting sports is about shooting a single good shot. It often must then be backed up with a subsequent good shot or shots. Depending on the shooting sport there may be multiple shots, multiple targets, multiple stages and multiple guns. You must keep in mind that each shot is fired by a single pull of the trigger. This is preceded by a sighting whether it be very quick and crude or slow and precise.

Shoot each shot one at a time. The only shot you have any control over is the shot you are shooting now. Once the bullet has left the muzzle it is no longer in your control. The round not yet in your chamber is also not under your control. The only one under your control is the shot you are shooting. This is where the mind can be a terrible thing. We start thinking, instead of concentrating.

The same applies to your competitor(s). Unless you are sabotaging their equipment, ammo, target or mind set you have no control over what they do. You shoot your shots, let them shoot theirs. Score when it is over. Better yet, don't score the result, but measure the performance as smaller skill performances. That way you can better fix what went wrong. More often than not the TRIGGER and the BRAIN become the ERASERS of everything else done proper.

If you have a good mentor, great, work with them. Learn the fundamentals, the tricks of the trade from them and others. Learn what works for you, and what doesn't. Work only on improving your ability to put together that which you have learned. Master the ability to repeat your performances time and time again. After you have mastered the ability to repeat a skill, or skills, then work on doing it more quickly, or more accurately if those are requirements of the game.

Shooting is about consistency. Consistency enables one to shoot groups. Yes, two shots is a group. A group of A's preferably, or X's or 10's depending on the game. Learn to shoot a "round" group. It doesn't matter whether the group is 2" in diameter or 10" in diameter. If you are shooting a round group, then you are gripping the gun and pulling the trigger the same with every shot. After you are able to shoot round groups, then work on making the groups smaller, or learn to shoot the groups quicker. Adjusting sights may be in order to put the group where you want it. The goal is consistency, shot after shot, group after group, practice session after practice session.

Then you shoot matches. The goal should be to do what YOU, know what to do, at the pace YOU know you can do it. Shoot your shots, your way. Stick to YOUR game plan, not anyone elses. Your competition mind set should be to perform at or near your practice session levels.

If you have good training, good equipment, realistic attitude and continue to build on previous learning, you then will likely surpass your mentor more quickly, than if you set out to catch or beat him. If you have such a keen eye on him, then you are not focused on shooting. Keep both eyes on the ball!

Good Luck,

MJ

Nothing wrong with being competitive.

Balance your drive to compete with humility, because you're going to take a lot of whippings in the coming months. I know GMs that win a match and kick themselves for having shot so poorly despite being the baddest hombre out there - which for me is pretty good evidence that winning isn't the pinnacle of the sport.

I've always gotten the most gratification from knowing I left my best effort on the range, coincidentally those are the matches I've shot my best scores as well.

So, yeah be competitive, but also be creative. You may find that focusing on doing your best isn't very conducive to good shooting. If you really want to win, find your happy place.

After 15 seasons in USPSA competition I've tried several attitudes.

The one I've settled on is the attitude that, win or lose, I'm a student of shooting. Each match is a lesson. And the study is a lifelong process.

Honor is more important than winning. Winning is just a point in time. Honor is never regrettable, either in myself or a fellow competitior. There is simply no downside to honor.

You may get burned out, let down, pissed off, fed up, and one day just quit. But it will never be because of either of the two attitudes I've just mentioned.

Wow, once again, you all have made me feel like a true rookie! :D

We start thinking, instead of concentrating.

MJ - Thankyou for the very sound advice. I am probably the world's worst at trying to out-think myself. I printed out your comments and will add them to my hand-book (yes, it's turning into a book) of all the great things I have learned from this forum.

You may find that focusing on doing your best isn't very conducive to good shooting.

Pickles - +1 on a very good point. Thank-you.

"Thinking Practical Shooting" by Saul Kirsch is a must read when it comes to what goes on between the ears. Brian probably has it in his store.

Ron - I'll have to track that one down. Thanks.

Honor is more important than winning. Winning is just a point in time. Honor is never regrettable, either in myself or a fellow competitior. There is simply no downside to honor.

Sam - Honor above all else...couldn't have put it better myself!

edited here

Just a side note after thinking (again - I know, I know!). Winning isn't everything, and please don't think that my sole purpose in shooting is to "chase someone" or "be better than everyone else." What I was trying to convey is that I set goals to give myself something to drive towards. Once I hit that goal, I will set another one.

Even after my first match, I was amazed at how much I had calmed down once I had fired my first shot. All I saw was the COF and my sights. So far, winning or beating one person in particular isn't in my head while I am shooting. However, I have realized (thanks to you all) that I will have to work to make sure it stays that way.

Edited by LittlePistol

Here's a few winning attitudes that I believe in because I come to win:

You don't win off of the course of fire or by screwing with others.

Winning should never take over your life.

You will lose more than you win.

Loving the sport will take you further in winning.

There is nothing wrong with being competitive.

Everybody is not on the same level of competitiveness.

Feel good when you win.

Don't drag negative baggage along with you when you don't win.

It's pretty much up to you to win.

Don't forget the above when others try to drag you down.

Preparation is the cornerstone to winning.

Remember where you came from.

Do your best.

Don't ever forget you are shooting against the best shooters in the world.

Choose to have Fun

Fun creates Enjoyment

Enjoyment invites Participation

Participation focuses Attention

Attention expands Awareness

Awareness promotes Insight

Insight generates Knowledge

Knowledge facilitates Action

Action yields Results

Davis M. Love, Jr

Desire = Attitude

Cecil

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shooting in USPSA for just over a year and a half. On average, we have about 30-40 people per match, and the highest I've ever ranked was 4th. That was when all the club's top shooters were at the Area match. I just recently moved from D class to C class.

That being said, there's one guy who I always have measured myself against. He was the first guy I befriended from the club, and we're on a similar skill and experience level. When I get the match rankings, I immediately check to see if I beat him! I don't pay attention to my ranking in relation to the top shooters, because it's just not constructive for me.

Edited by Glockopop

LittlePistol,

This sport and this forum are great !

I am very competitive as well, But one thing I like the most is that when the buzzer goes off there is nothing going on in my mind except the shooting. Every thing else in the world goes away, No pains, no thoughts, just the shooting. To me it is a great 5sec or 25sec feeling that I strive to reach.

I think setting goals are very good. You will look back after a while and see who is standing around you and realize that you are the guage everyone is trying to measure up to.

You will open up a whole new world once you get some great books from Brian, Saul, Matt and others. Act like a sponge when you get into them, Absorb all you can. Check out the online store here of Brian's and you will find some package deals that will save money.

Good Luck !