Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vvn310 W/lead

N310 is not too fast for the 45 with 230 grain lead bullets, and works well. my load data for cast 230 RN CAST bullets is: 3.4 grains produces 670fps; 3.7 grains produces 740 fps. these were shot through a 5 inch Kart barrel, i think.

my IPSC Major N310 load for 230 FMJ bullet is 4.2 grains. different barrels yield different velocities, so if you're loading to make Major be sure to chronograph your loads.

hope this helps.

Is VV N310 a good powder for use with lead bullets? Or is it to fast? I plan on trying it with MB 230's or Precision 230's.

Thanks

I don't know what you're planning on using it for, but some really good PPC shooters are using N310 for PPC...or so I'm told by a PPC shooter (and fine one at that) I work with. He's shooting lead even out to 50yds without a problem, but will use jacketed for bigger matches.

Edited by G-ManBart

Since cost is a factor, even moreso with the 30% increase across the board :angry: .......I would recommend shooting CLAYS with lead or coated bullets(I dont know if CLAYS works ok with coated bullets, but I have read not to use TG....), and save the VV310 for your jacketed match ammo. There is no problem using VV310 with lead and it will still shoot amazingly well too.

Good Luck,

DougC

Edited by DougC

You guys are the best! Yes, I plan to make major with it. I just started in with the .45 and I have been reading everything I can. Just gets a little confusing, I can't afford to play around to much. With a little education maybe I can start with a good load.

3.9gr N-310 provides 170 PF with Precision 230gr RNFP bullets in my S&W 625 5" barrel. N-310 both smokes less and meters much better than Clays. The cost difference per round between N-310 and Clays is minimal.

Chris