Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Legend And Eagle And Reloads

I am interested in buying a limited class gun. I'm interested in the STI guns (but HATE the idea of a composite grip...separate issue).

For40 S&W the salesman, a very experienced IPSC shooter himself, said that he WOULD NOT recommend using anything other than New brass or brass fired only once for reloads. He said that I'd find my case heads separating.

Can anyone who honestly comment on this?

Thanks,

John C frm Maryland

John

I would find someone else to listen to for advise.

Untrue...pure and simple.

Agreed - sounds like some serious anti-.40 cal bias going on. Take a look around on the .40/10mm reloading section here - including the recent post on "new to .40 reloading" for up-to-date info. I think you will find about 98% of us shooting an STI or SV .40 are reloading for it, often with brass that has been reloaded a reasonable number of times.

Mind if I ask where in MD such dubious advice came from?

and, welcome to the forum.

C.

TY-44934

John

Dear Carlos: I was talkng to an older gentleman at Atlantic Guns in Rockville, Maryland. I can't remember his name, but he is dentified as the store's IPSC guru. I believe he is genuine in his belief. It was a real turn-off for me. Oddly enough he was trying to sell the STI gns to me. Also, I wrote to STI to pose the question, and have not yet received a reply.

John

Most shooters (who reload their own ammo) load to a less powerful load than a factory cartridge. I have read (very rarely) about case head separations on this forum but have never experienced one myself. I believe many people who contribute (post) to the BE forums have reloaded into the hundreds of thousands of rounds without finding the .40 to be a hazardous/dangerous or difficult caliber to reload. To my knowledge it is quite common to get quite a few reloads from .40 brass. I believe as you research the STI or SVI line of competition firearms you will find them to be highly regarded, of exceptional quality and very well suited to any type of competition usage...

my .02 :)

<_< John ? :P IPSC Guru :P thats funny ...as long as it is not his words.

I allso had an issue with my first STI guns going form a singal stack metal & wood grip

I got over it REAL fast, = the guns are grate and a trill to shoot.

OH ...= And I may not know nothing ;)

Edited by AlamoShooter

John

Dear Carlos: I was talkng to an older gentleman at Atlantic Guns in Rockville, Maryland. I can't remember his name, but he is dentified as the store's IPSC guru. I believe he is genuine in his belief. It was a real turn-off for me. Oddly enough he was trying to sell the STI gns to me. Also, I wrote to STI to pose the question, and have not yet received a reply.

i have lived in Gaithersburg MD for over a year and i do know the person you are refering to ...he is a great guy but i wouldnt really follow that advice he just told you

I gotta say, that's exactly what I'd advise any random person to do if I worked for a gun shop. Everyone that reloads knows that mistakes can be made and it's better, as a business, to err on the side of caution.

I buy once fired .40 cal brass (from Police ranges) and throw it away after I've reloaded it 3 times. I also mark my brass so that when I get home I can be sure each piece came from my own stash. I don't want to reload someone else's brass that's been reloaded 15 times.

I am interested in buying a limited class gun. I'm interested in the STI guns (but HATE the idea of a composite grip...separate issue).

For40 S&W the salesman, a very experienced IPSC shooter himself, said that he WOULD NOT recommend using anything other than New brass or brass fired only once for reloads. He said that I'd find my case heads separating.

Can anyone who honestly comment on this?

Thanks,

John C frm Maryland

Hi John,

I survived living in MD from 1996 to 2005, but I'm not real familar with that shop.

I will say that the advice is questionable, at best. I have a new STI that I'm loading for and it's been a dream. You can't take brass that's been fired in a loose chambered gun (like stock Glocks), run it through a traditional sizing die and have it chamber in my STI, but that's about the only issue. If you get a true full length resize on the brass fired in loose chambers (most people here seem to use the Lee U-die or EGW's variation of the same) they'll work in an STI just fine. Similarly, if you use the brass that's been fired in an STI to reload, you can get quite a few reloads on each case before they're trash...how many depends on the quality of the brass, the chamber on your gun, the dies you use etc....but it'll still be quite a few. I'm saying STI, but the same could be said of pretty much any other gun with a tight chamber intended for competition use.

I have put STIFF loads in mixed brass through a U-die and back through a STOCK Glock 40 barrel over and over again until I had done it 15 times, I gave up on bad things happening. If I can't get a high pressure load to do something bad in that many trips to the range doing everything 'wrong' according to the internet experts I give up.

Prevent setback number one, that is HUGE. Don't double charge a case, that is equally as huge. If you can do those two things every time on time reloading 40 is as boring as 45 acp or 38 specials. Manage your process and know your product, reloading 40 with boring monotony isn't hard at all.

Edit: huge not hige

Edited by HSMITH