Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Store Guns In Zip Lock Bags?

Gallow

Is there something the matter with storing each of my handguns in zip-lock bags with a small pack of desiccant and most of the air squeezed out of the bag? For many years I’ve stored my guns in Bore-Store bags in an outdoor safe with several big cans of desiccant (recharged when necessary) and the guns look good, but the Bore-Store bags are looking a little tired. Bore-Store makes much of the fact that their bags permit free air flow, which of course the ziplock bag doesn’t. There’s not much free air flow in the safe anyway.

I’m starting to shoot again after 11 years off, but most of my guns are inappropriate for current competition (tricked-out single-stack .45s, and a couple of 40 S&W abortions from the early days of the caliber), and will pretty much remain in the safe. I don’t want them wrecked, though.

By the way, I know I’d have been better off with a goldenrod dehumidifier in the safe, but there’s no electricity handy, and I haven’t been able to find a 12v goldenrod. Inverters tend not to turn on with the small goldenrod demand.

I have never heard of an outdoor safe. I can't think of any reason why you couldn't keep them in zip lock bags.

Sorry if I mislead you. Outdoor safe—that is a pretty funny idea.

The safe isn’t actually outdoors. It’s in an unheated outbuilding, in Michigan.

If you are worried about trapping moisture in the zip-lok bags, just don't seal them.

Maybe I should elaborate a bit. I store my handguns in Dillon pouches in the safe. I don't think the Dillon pouches breathe much with all the padding and such. I clean and lube with Breakfree CLP and store the guns in the Dillon pouches upright. It allows room for a few more toys and after 20+ years of doing it this way, no rust problems so far.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter