Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope Mount On An Open Gun - How Low Can You Go?

ExtremeShot

I plan to purchase one of DP's Awesome scope mounts for my new Open gun I'm trying to finish. Recently someone told me to purchase the blank mount so that I could drill my own holes and get the mount as close to the slide as possible.

My questions are:

1) How low can you go before you create an ejection problem?

2) Why wouldn't the pre-drilled holes from DP be good enough?

Thanks,

Darren

Predrilled:

011-003.jpg

Blank:

011-001.jpg

By drilling your own holes you could possibly get it a couple of mm closer to the slide but not enough to make much of a difference in my opinion. The C-more dot sits really high anyway and there's not much can be done about that.

I suspect that Dawson puts the holes in the best place on the mount, who am I to argue with him :D

The most important thing on an Open gun is reliability, if you sacrifice that for a couple of mm of scope height then your Open shooting experience will not be a good one. I'd go with the stock mount if I were you. You can always drill the holes lower down in the frame if you wanted, but like I said - reliability comes first...

Edited by BritinUSA

If your frame has already been drilled, the blank mount will allow you to locate the holes for the lowest fit. If the frame has not been drilled, save yourself the extra work and simply buy the predrilled mount and locate the holes the frame for the lowest mounting position.

Thanks guys. The holes in the frame have not yet been drilled. See picture below. I'm with you on the predrilled holes and reliability. It also makes the job easier. Worst case, if I decide it needs lowering I can sell the mount for a few bucks loss and get a blank and start over.

Thanks for the help,

Darren

sti6b.jpg

On different, but similar subject, has anyone milled off the "DP" logo on one of these mounts? I have not yet received mine so I don't know how deep the logo is, but I'm thinking I'd like to mill it off and do some shallow diagonal cuts that will match the rib cage cuts (that I also have not yet done).

Thx,

Darren

Edited by ExtremeShot