Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New York State Limited And Open Shooters

cny025

I have been shooting production in New York State over the last 2 years. I am interested in shooting limited and open but have the great state of NY and its magazine restrictions in my way. In NY we are allowed to use high cap magazines if they are manufactured before the clinton ban. My question is about the purchase of the handgun itself.

Is it possible to purchase a new STI or SV without the magazines and purchase preban mags for shooting?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by cny025

Is it possible to purchase a new STI or SV without the magazines and purchase preban mags for shooting?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Yes you can buy an STI or SVI without mags or with a ten rounder. I am sure that there is someone here or on the USPSA classifieds that are sitting on nice "pre-ban" mags and would be willing to sell them to you for the cost of new post ban mags.

I don't understand the purpose of this law. How the hell can the state of NY know when a mag was manufactured? Since they don't come with serial numbers I don't see how they can figure out when the mag was actually produced. I am sure there are plenty of NY open and limited shooters take advantage of this by buying new ones and having them shipped to friends in the states they are legal and then onto NY. I am not suggesting that you do this, as that would be illegal.

rubberneck wrote: " How the hell can the state of NY know when a mag was manufactured? Since they don't come with serial numbers I don't see how they can figure out when the mag was actually produced. I am sure there are plenty of NY open and limited shooters take advantage of this by buying new ones and having them shipped to friends in the states they are legal and then onto NY. I am not suggesting that you do this, as that would be illegal."

Well, for 1911s, then yes, they CAN'T tell when it was made. But for many guns, like the X-5 or Tactical Sports that were invented after the ban, they might know ALL mags for the frame are verboten - like the new Caspian .40s.

-another reason we should maintain Production and L-10 mag limits.

rubberneck wrote: " How the hell can the state of NY know when a mag was manufactured? Since they don't come with serial numbers I don't see how they can figure out when the mag was actually produced. I am sure there are plenty of NY open and limited shooters take advantage of this by buying new ones and having them shipped to friends in the states they are legal and then onto NY. I am not suggesting that you do this, as that would be illegal."

Well, for 1911s, then yes, they CAN'T tell when it was made. But for many guns, like the X-5 or Tactical Sports that were invented after the ban, they might know ALL mags for the frame are verboten - like the new Caspian .40s.

The poster wasn't asking about the X-5 or the new Caspian he was asking about the SVI/STI guns. The state of NY would have no clue when those mags were made because they were available both before and after the ban.

I do agree that L-10 is still a vital division to shooters in the states where mag capacity is limited by law. I fear however that we are fighting a losing battle on that one but that subject has been beaten to death on this board.

The poster wasn't asking about the X-5 or the new Caspian he was asking about the SVI/STI guns. The state of NY would have no clue when those mags were made because they were available both before and after the ban.

Correct. However, far too often in USPSA, new Limited shooters seem to think that STI and SV are the "only" options to be competitive in Limited. Didn't a Glock beat all the STI and SV guns at the last USPSA Nationals? I was simply pointing out the options in Limited now that the national AWB is dead, and pointing out the further difficulties that state bans pose to the future of some of our divisions (even though I live in VA and am not subject to such restrictions). Please pardon the thread drift.

D.

I do agree that L-10 is still a vital division to shooters in the states where mag capacity is limited by law. I fear however that we are fighting a losing battle on that one but that subject has been beaten to death on this board.

While the original poster didn't ask about anything other than S_I mags, this thread will be readable here for the foreseeable future ---- so it's a good idea to point out the potential issues for newer guns under the current law.....