Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triploblastic

ErikW

(This message is an off-shoot of the sub-second draw thread in which I incorrectly identified Jeff Maas' Triploblastic course design.)

I helped build a reasonable facsimile of this stage at a recent club match. It's a great stage that'll make you think, highly recommended. I wish I could've shot it the 2 or 3 different ways I wanted to.

(Picture is on page 153 of the PDF at http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/documents/IPSCSB1A.PDF)

First, realize the charge lines are not fault lines that can be run over, nor is it a wall that blocks one's vision. So you can stand and shoot behind it or you can run around, but you can't run through that area. We had some shoot-through issues that required some more no-shoots and a stipulation about shooting the triangle area's array and steel from the start position.

The way we set it up, absent shootable side berms, allowed you to step out of the left side of the start position to see all the far left targets, and step out of the right side to see all the far right targets.

ShooterGrrl and most of the foo-foo gunners elected to blast from long range, which was at most 15 yards, though there were tight shots around the barrels.

Fast times were a sandbagger B with an Open gun blasting from afar, and somebody who didn't pay attention to the walk-through blasting everything from the start position. Third-fastest time, third-most points, and thus high hit factor, went to yours truly, with a Limited-legal gun playing in Open division. I ran around the left side and engaged the (non-steel) berm targets on the move at 7 yards and less.

I'll bet if it were set up at a nationals, the big dogs with Open guns would blast from afar, and half the big dogs with Limited guns would do the same. The other half of the Limited big dogs and everybody else with lower capacity would shoot and scoot.

Great stage, Jeff!

That stage is normal for Jeff's matches.  He does a good job of giving the shooters a choice.  Keeps us Limited shooters seperated from the Open gunners.  (Althought that stage isn't "freestyle" it still is a good test at a local match.)