Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 147grn Loads....

devildogmech

Hello all,

I'm pretty new here (Hang out at 1911forums alot). Read a ton of good info though.

I'm getting ready to work up some loads for 9mm 147grn (plated and LTC). Would you all be kind enough to give me a sanity check for my starting points?

Starting:

147Grn Berry's Plated 9mm

2.9grns TG

WSP

Mixed Brass

1.142 OAL

Ending:

147 Grn Berry's Plated 9mm

3.2 grns TG

WSP

Mixed Brass

1.142 OAL

Starting:

147Grn LTC

2.5grns TG

WSP

Mixed Brass

1.142 OAL

Ending:

147 Grn LTC

2.8 grns TG

WSP

Mixed Brass

1.142 OAL

Starting:

147Grn LTC

3.2 grns W231

WSP

Mixed Brass

1.142 OAL

Ending:

147 Grn LTC

3.5 grns W231

WSP

Mixed Brass

1.142 OAL

Thanks all.

Billy

Looks fine, dont know what gun you are using. You could shorten them up to 1.135 and they will work just fine. Just make sure your OAL will fit in the magazine, and the starting loads may not cycle some guns, depending on the recoils spring, etc. Crimp very lightly with the Berrys, and try some slower powder like Universal Clays, W 231 for best accuracy as well.

Have fun!

DougC

I have a 60's Vintage Hi-Power and a S&W 915... I shoot and carry the BHP most... But got the hankering to shoot the 915 the other day...

Thanks

Billy

I had a 915 which would cut a dime sized hole for 5 shot groups at 10yrds with a Sierra 115grn hollowpoint over 5.5grns of Unique. Most I've seen have been remarkably accurate and reliable guns. I sold it to acquire some other "had to have" pistol last year, but I would not feel unarmed if I were to carry one again.

• 3 weeks later...

147gr RN Berry's, 4.0gr Winchester Super Field (WSF) produces 920fps in my Commander and hardly even requires cleaning afterwards.

I've gotten the impression Winchester thinks WSF is their proper powder for 9mm, and I am coming to agree.

Backing down to 3.5gr does about 850, and way down to 3.1 barely makes 800, which I've tried in an effort to get a wadcutter-equivalent load to get my wife over from her Diamondback.

That 3.5gr load is way fun to shoot and runs well in my Colt without changes. My beater PT92 takes it fine. I don't recall that the Glock 17 cared for it, but neither of us shoot that gun anymore.

In any event, subsonic loads with 147s are a big help for newbies due to the lower blast.

Bill

I forgot to update you all...

The starting load of 2.9grn TG with the Berry's produced some very accurate loads at 25ft... Much better than WWB (my usual comparision round). The 147LTC with the W231 were also very accurate... Took the S&W 915 from all over the place with WWB to very accurate! I'm thinking of using the S&W in the next Steel plate match.... All of the 231 loads were good.

Go to: http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/WRGB...e/Guns/Targets/

to see the targets...

Thanks all

Billy

B)

TG loads look fine - and I LIKE the OAL for feeding and safety. Check several sources, but even the 3.2 grn looks to be below the max book for TG & 147s - (double check). Couldn't get a 17 to cycle w/ the start load of TG you listed.

Also, since you are ojnly shooting for Minor, try to stick to the faster powders on the burn rate. For example, Universal would be too slow for the recoil perception you want. AA2 is better, but TG better still. No experience with winchester.

In my G34..

3.0 TG, Berry's 147, just makes PF - 126.9

I settled on:

3.2 TG, Berry's 147: - 129.7

Yeah - the 3.2 to 3.3 is what I would have used in the 17. The TG load that would not work w/ my box stock 17 was the 2.9 grns at 1.150" OAL and Zeros. Maybe a lighter spring would have helped back then.