Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Imga "factory Configuration" Question

I shoot Open and never had a need to ask this question, but I'm thinking about shooting the NTPS 3-Gun Challenge with a few of my buddies and the match will not have an Open Division. I started looking at the rules for IMGA Tactical for this an other matches and I'm not sure exactly what "of a factory configuration" really means. The rules usually refer to:

Rule 5.3 For purposes of this ruling, a "firearm" consists of a specific caliber, receiver, barrel, and stock and sighting system combination.

I guess my specific questions are:

1. What is a factory? Colt; DPMS; Sabre; Baer; Wilson; Saiga; Joe the gunsmith down the street ?????? USPSA has a 500 gun per year requirement. Do a number of like firearms need to be manufactured with a specific configuration to be considered "of a factory configuration"? In other words, Colts are but Wilsons aren't? Since I can "manufature" a firearm from a Midway catalog, am I a factory? I would say no but I know a lot of individuals put together guns from "factory parts" and compete (DPMS lower and a JP upper).

2. External Mods. Since side saddles and aftermarket stocks usually don't come from the firearms plant, hence the name "after market", and since they are external versus internal, can they be used? How about things like ghost sights, Choate extended magazine tubes, tactical latches, free floating handguards, gas blocks, vertical forend grips, just to name a few. USPSA does list external modes in APPENDIX 6 but IMG has no provisions for external mods.

3. I don't see that a Saiga shotgun is illegal unless you consider removable magazine as speedloaders. Discussion.

For this match, I would hope I could put iron sights on my JP Shotgun and take off the Arrendondo Speedloader Assist and be legal. I would also hope that my CTR-02 with 1 optic is legal.

Is this just one of those questions that nobody wants to ask because they're affraid of the answer?

Its probably easier to answer your question knowing what your intentions are, rather than answer what "a factory configuration" means.

your Jp rifle would suffice in Tactical optic, your shotgun should also, however there is no one set of rules for IMGA, so your best bet is to pull up the rules for whatever particular match you intend to shoot. I believe "George" has a site called "3gunrules" that can supply you with the rules for different matches.

The NTPS match is an unknown to me, I also intend to shoot the match, so getting ahold of the match director would be the best bet, or checking out the website.

Trapr

Its probably easier to answer your question knowing what your intentions are, rather than answer what "a factory configuration" means.

your Jp rifle would suffice in Tactical optic, your shotgun should also, however there is no one set of rules for IMGA, so your best bet is to pull up the rules for whatever particular match you intend to shoot. I believe "George" has a site called "3gunrules" that can supply you with the rules for different matches.

The NTPS match is an unknown to me, I also intend to shoot the match, so getting ahold of the match director would be the best bet, or checking out the website.

Trapr

Trapr,

I beleve that NTPS is using the SMM3G rules with permision, or at least that is what they did last year the rules were not a big issue last year at all.

Come on down or up in your case and have a good time blasting for the weekend.

I have been thinking we might need a special IRON SIGHT gun on the prize table got any Ideas? barrel length, sight system, 1in7 or 1in8 ??? 6.5 grendel or 5.56 just a thought.

I will check back after the 1st when I get back into town,

Grant,

Gary,Trapper,

The match is quite possibly the best sleeper match out there.............I really do suggest shooting it if any way possible.

for equipment questions I suggest contacting 1911operator.

SAM

To make the equiment problems easy............Just shoot Heavy Metal. ;) (I need some more to kick my A$$)

Edited by hopalong