Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Weight

PaulW

Just because I can I have been playing around with many different things in my open gun.  I have been playing with frame weight (tungsten guide rod, steel mainspring housing) and was wondering how others like their open gun to feel.  Light or more solid and a little heavier.  I have just started to play with shock buffs, actually a couple of shock buffs to see if I can tell any difference.  I have already done the recoil spring experiment and found that a 10lb springs is about the lightest I can run reliably.  What are you running?

On my current gun, an SVI IMM, I have a steel backstrap and thats about it, I would like a bit more weight up front but Mike Auger told me he has had trouble with tungsten guide rods in his. It might have to do with slide cycle time. This is probably the fastest cycling 1911 around. It feels almost the same speed as a P-9. There is a lesson here, while a light slide can be beneficial to recovery time, too much weight removed can cause all sorts of other problems, I have a later IMM and it has a slightly heavier slide than Mikes and it seem to slow the cycle enough to avoid some of the problems.

Overall the gun is lighter than I normally like but you can't argue with results I think I'll leave it alone.

If you get the chance try one, you'll walk away impressed....and have one on order

Pat

I used to shoot a cone comped 5" gun , this was a little light for me so i got a grams tungsten magwell .This helped calm the dot down. Now i shoot a bull barrel with a commander lenght slide,aluminum magwell and steel guide rod. I like this setup a lot ,seems to be a good compromise.

Went out this weekend and found that I liked what I started with.  I am using a regular plastic mainspring housing and a steel guide rod.  The tungston just felt way to nose heavy.

Hey Pat, what is this IMM gun I keep hearing you talk about??

Its the S*** ...check the SVI website and flip through the slide show..its the open gun with the carbon fiber scope mount (w/C-More) and all the holes on top (three hybrid, three tribrid, and a three chamber titanium comp nitrogen shrunk on to the barrel)..Its a light gun but absolutely the softest, flattest shooting open gun I have ever tried...Travis tried one at the Nationals (one of the demo guns) and judging by the smile on his face he was impressed too...Beware though, it is LOUD...Mike Auger and myself (with some help from the  SVI team members shooting this same gun... Matt Burkett et al) cleared the function fire range at the nationals, the other guys with regular supers could not stand to be near our blast zone With three or four of these guns on the line at once, it was pretty nasty.

Pat

Thanks Pat...I'll have a look at SVI's website more closely.  All I saw was the one that fit "in-the-box".  Loud does not bother me....I shoot a pretty hot 115 grain bullet now with N350....I just walk around saying "what" a lot.  How durable is the titanium comp?  How many rounds do you have through the gun?

Pat - you are not talking about the gun on SV's website that is under the IMM link that is the cut up gun withthe short barrel, long slide and holes out the top of the barrel with the OKO sight.

If it is the other one on the main page with the 9 holes on the top, DAMN!!!!  Loud open guns are just the stuff.  Dare I say, they make me horny.  Good thing my wife wants me to get an open gun!!!  

Paul: My other gun shoots 115 gr bullets with 3n37 (and it has two porpoise holes) but it is not nearly as loud as the IMM

Dave: yes its the other one with all the holes, they don't actually have a description for it in the catalogue but the picture says it all

Pat