Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super, 38 supercomp, 9X23

casey

.38 super and .38 supercomp are the same LOADS, the supercomp is a "rimless" cartridge which SHOULD reduce the number of misfeeds.

In a perfect world, supercomp is the way to go.  I'm still using super because that's what brass I have and the supercomp brass is more expensive.

I know nothing about 9x23, hopefully someone else can discuss that one for you :-)

go to http://www.pistolsmith.com and look at the 9x23 forum; especially the intro FAQ on 9x23/9Supercomp. The 9x23 Winchester and 9 supercomp have the same case dimensions and use (generally) .355 dia. bullets, not .38 Super dia. bullets (although manufacturing specs for barrels and chamber reamers vary widely).  There is a greater variety of .355"/9mm bullets available than .38 Super bullets (though everyone shoots either 115 or 124 grn so this is of little importance). Trend generally seems towards the 9x23 over the .38 Super or .38 Supercomp.

All three cartridges uses .355 bullet, no ?

The main difference (after the rim thing) between .38 super and 9x23 / 9 supercomp is that super cases are cylindrical, when the two others are conical .

There are also inside shapes differences between supercomp and 9x23.

DVc

Julien :-)

38 supercomp is a 38 super case with the rim trimmed back. They are both straight walled cases. The 9x23 is a tapered case with the same head dimensions as the 9x19.

I'd say that there are more open guns using 38 super than anything else. Super comp feed out of the magazine smoother but a 38 super set up right will be reliable. The brass is also cheaper in 38 super.

For pictures of sectioned cases, a historical perspective, and an explanation as to why the 9x23 is superior to the old .38 super, check out this link.  

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t...096&forum=4

Jist of it is: ""See the three cases I've split in half (photo at website above). The one on the left is a 38Super case that was loaded with a 130gr FMJ then clocked at 1300FPS. The web thickness is .163, case wall at web is .024,tapering to .014. Center case is Starline 38Super comp, web thickness is .163 at web, case wall is .034, 1/8th from web is .034, 3/16th's from web is .029, 1/4 from

web is .018. Right case is 9X23, web thickness is .168, case wall at web is .049, 1/8 from web is .043, 3/16 from web is .034, 1/4 from web is .030. Beyond all doubt the

9x23 is obviously a thicker case and should be a much stronger case. If they cold run a 130gr bullet 1300FPS in the 1930's using an old 38Super case and an unramped barrel, how fast can we run a 125gr from a 9X23 with today's powders? Hope to answer this soon,

Keeper of useless trivia.

(Edited by Carlos at 6:26 pm on Mar. 6, 2002)