Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting Harrell's Powder Measure On Dillon 550?

I took the powder die out of a toolhead that I use for precision .223. I run the case up, throw a charge from the automated measure I keep right next to it, the dump the charge into the case using a powder funnel. It only take a couple seconds more than using a Dillon measure if I start the auto dispenser as soon as I put the powder pan back on it.

I chewed on the same idea of mounting a "real" measure up top and then settled on this scenario after I realized the timeframe would be similar to working a manual measure mounted up top of the toolhead after stopping the press mid stroke. The auto-measure is the key here, it's filling the pan with the next charge while you are working the next cartridge into place on the press. I am using the PACT automatic trickler and it provides me the charge weight accuracy I need for this.

• 5 years later...

The Sinclair mount for the Harrell powder measure uses a 7/8 inch diameter vertical rod that is only about 12 inches long. I bought a 7/8 diameter wooden dowel that is 3 ft long as a replacement and used the clamps from the Sinclair mount on the dowel and clamp to the edge of the workbench near the Dillon press. Then I clamped a piece of brass plate to the upper platform from the Sinclair mount and placed that clamp on the dowel extending out toward the Dillon press above the tool head. I can clamp the Harrell measure to the brass and locate it above a Lee expander die with through hole for powder flow. In addition, I found a piece of brass tubing that will fit into the Harrell drop tube collet eliminating the static problem and whose diameter will fit down into the top of the Lee die. Not particularly exquisite but perfectly functional.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny how things work out. I was contemplating how to connect a Harrell's Scheutzen powder measure to a Ponsness Warren P-200 reloader I use to load .38 spls. when I came across this thread. I don't load all that many .38spls so the slower speed of the P-200 doesn't bother me and I kind of enjoy using the old beast. I have a Dillon 550B for .38 super which is what I mainly shoot.

Is there anything around that allows you to mate a Harrells type measure directly into a 7/8ths by 14 turret press hole or would Al338LapuaMagnum's solution be the way to go?

Edited by MarkC