Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x23  good to start with??

Danva

my wife and I are thinking about getting an open gun for her to shoot. Someone we know has a 9x23 for sale.

Is this a good round to start into open with or would we be better off looking at 38supers or something else?

I will handload for it so that is a consideration also. The gun is a STI frame and seems solid and reliable. I don't know much about the 9x23 round except for what I have read here.

Thanks for any info and opinions

Dan

9x23 is a rimless cartridge which is supposed to feed better. If the gun and mags are tuned right, 38 Super works just as well.

Super brass is easier to find and a few bucks cheaper but neither offers an appreciable advantage over the other. The differences in the two are trivial.

9x23 Win cases are helatiously strong and safe, also somewhat hard to find. Nearly identical strength can be had with the easily available Starline version, the 9Supercomp (interchangeable w/ 9x23).  Starline sells this brass new for very good prices and the supply is limitless.  IMHO, this case is superior to .38 Super and safer; most people consider the "new" .355/.356" open cases (such as 9Supercomp/38Supercomp/9x23/38TJ or todd jarret) to be improvements over the traditional .38 super as to strength and feeding. I consider 9x23/9supercomp to be the best of the lot.

I have had good luck with the 9x23...I have found it easy to load for and it has worked reliably in all my guns...I have not tried the Starline brass..but it looks good. I got fortunate and found a small boatload of WIN brass..