Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dr. Or J Point

jujitsu4me

Dr. or J Point ?????????

Welcome to the forum.

My answer is Dr. (Bevin Proofed of course)

Reality is there are other options, C-Moore, Tube Red Dot etc. Everything has it's +'s and -"- however. Bottom line is try out several before diving in because whatever works for you is what you should use.

Jpoint /Doctor VS Cmore??

I'm shopping for sights. I've shot a Cmore a few times and had trouble finding the dot when moving into a new position. The Jpoint / Doctor sights seem VERY appealing to me because you can reference the front of the gun. Why do so many people choose to shoot with CMores? Is it cost?

Larger field of view. Ability to see more than just the target you are aiming at (and the dot). I find it is easier to find the dot on a C-More, because of this.

Also dosent move back and forth like a J-Point. Ask anyone, I shot a J-Point for years and have only had my new gun (with C-More) for 2 days and I find it much easier to find the dot. Much easier to track the dot as well.

And mostly just a crisper / brighter dot by a long shot.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I had RIID build me a .38 super 1911 for steel that I have a bomar, with a JP bomar cut scope mount w docter scope and a interchangeable coned barrel/comp to shoot it either L-10 or Open if I choose, when I just started surfing the forum here. I should be finally getting the gun next week. I did it because i didnt want to drill a bunch of holes in my frame on such a pretty gun... Now I never thought about a slide ride mounted scope sliding forward and back when the gun cycles. Wish I would of just bit the bullet and had him throw a dawson w a C-more, but this will be my only gun I can switch over. should be interesting. Does anyone have any problems with the rectagular shape or of the Docter? Glad I have an STI .45 open gun and a caspian open .38 super w a dawson frame mount both w C-mores.

Hopefully after I get settled into my new home I can actually finally shoot a match. it seems everyone uses C-mores these days. I shot a kodiak 9mm open gun with a C-more and it almost felt like cheating! 1-1/2 group w 29 rds at about 25' in just under 20 seconds. virtually no recoil or site re-aquisition. 9's seem to balance and comp really well. I think I'm really going to like ipsc/SC open division regardless if I get hosed or not! :P off subject, but how many of you shoot open in .45ACP? will +P's produce enough gas to keep the gun manageable? will it be a totally different animal from a 9/.38? I know .38 super is a pretty snappy, rough caliber to shoot w/o a comp, but it seems much more tame when comped. I imagine they will have a totally different feel from eachother, but how significant?

Edited by half inch groups

Good question. J Point or Docter.

There is a BIG price difference. There is also a big difference in life expectancy too.

I like them both. I have installed several of the the J Poin/Optima sights in customer's guns and on my own. Eventually they all (in my own guns) suffered from dislodged l.e.d. modules, since only a drop of a specialized "cyanoacrilate/crazy-glue" holds it in place. Yes it can be re-glued and put back into service, but this is no consolation when it dislodges in the middle of a match. Docter sights addressed the problem by putting in two small retaining screws in addition of the "cyanoacrilate" glue, and added external "locking" set screws to eliminate bounce-back of the module. But even with this modifications the Docter's have seemed to fall down with the same module failures in their earlier models. That is why Beven Grams got involved and found the "cures" in his "bullet-proofing" mods.

The new-er generation of Docter Sights as imported and distributed in the U.S.A. by fellow "poster" "Dean" Makkos has pretty much done away with the earlier problems, but it is still suggested to get them "bullet-proofed" by Beven Grams. As of recent I have also started to offer "Hardening" services for the Docter Sights, in the new-er generation being brought in/imported by Docter U.S.A. with great results and a little bit more affordable, as these new-er sights are much sturdier and brighter than the earlier ones. If you are looking for these sights You can contact Dean at Docter U.S.A. or me, and we should be able to help with them, including installation. Bases are available for installation in existing sight cuts such as Bo-Mar or Novak and others, in addition of "melted" down specialized cuts as offered in my shop and many other 'smiths that post here, including Beven Grams great CNC rendition. I am presently getting in some specially built slides by SVI/Infinity which are in my opinion the best set-up for the Docter sights. You can contact them directly and they can built one for you too, since mine are intended for complete guns already spoken for. ( ;) )

And, oh yes, J Points are good and so are Pride-Fowlers. But Docters are waaaaay much better.

I put about 8000 rounds on my Bevenized Docter sight, no problems at all with the sight.

About 90% of those rounds made Major, most of the rest was just being conservative in working up loads. The slide speed on that gun is really high - if the sight can survive that, it's tough. No buffers on the guide rod.

Forget if I ever posted my plan for an STI/SV mount. If I ever feel the need to lose 5 oz or so off of my present gun, I might try it, Venry says he can make it no problem:

post-354-1166238678.jpg