Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brian's gun setup

• 1 month later...

Brian,

When the USPSA power factor was dropped to 165, the talk around here (on the East coast) was of using reduced recoil springs and mainsprings.  For an STI Edge, I heard people talking about going to an 11 - 12lb recoil spring and a 15lb mainspring.  The "logic" or reasoning being that a lighter mainspring would provide less resistance to the slide during recoil; and as a result, there would be less inertia to cause the muzzle to rise after the shot.  I noticed in your description of your pistol that you are running a 17lb mainspring.  Could you tell me why? Can you tell a difference in the way the pistol feels during firing with a lighter or heavier mainspring?  I would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks.

Jack

(Edited by Jack Suber at 12:09 pm on Jan. 9, 2003)

Jack,

The slide, having to cock the hammer as it moves reward, causes the greatest resistance to the slide as it attempts to open. (More so than the recoil spring.) So by running a lighter hammer spring, it tends to make the gun lift less during the initial part of the recoil stroke. A lighter recoil spring accomplishes this as well, to a slightly lesser degree.

be

Not Brian (obviously) but....

What I found when testing the ghost ring rears was that they're suprisingly good for long distance. This surprised me, because I'd heard several people say, "Yeah, I tried the ghost rings. They're okay for the close-in hoser stuff but not much good for distance." My experience was exactly the opposite. Though the fact they'd be good for distance shooting makes sense; we do, after all, use aperture rears as the most accurate option for iron rifle sights. But I found they slowed me down on the fast in-close stuff. With a standard post-notch, you can lead your eyes to the next target, which helps in the arena of speedy, accurate transitions immensely. With the ghost rings, I found the sides of the ring blocked my vision as I tried to move my eyes to the next target. It's like my vision was trapped inside the ring, if that makes sense. They were okay, but not up to the standard of the conventional post/notch.

• 1 month later...

Duane,

Cool info.  A lot of the guys at my local clubs (in Louisiana) have rear sight notches 5/32" (0.156") wide, with a semicircular bottom.  These don't seem any less accurate than my overly narrow Kimber rear notch.  One guy has a rear sight to which someone took a round file at least 1/4" in diameter.  Sort of a "half ghost ring" as Novak now sells.  That seemed to work fine, too.  

I tried to have mine cut wider by a guy at the club with a milling machine.  Kimber's hardened sight broke his "bit" (or whatever milling machines have).  

Stupid hardened rear sight.

DogmaDog