Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines for .40 STI Eagle

downzero

I talked with Beven Grams today about my STI Eagle .40 tendency to nose dive rounds into the feed ramp. He suggested no maybe demanded that I purchase magazine tubes that are straight instead of "crimped" where's my best bet at buying STI mag tubes that are not crimped?

I shoot an STI Limited pistol and use SV mags.  You might try bending the lip inward slightly or replace the spring and follower first before trying new tubes.  

If you have a mag that is reliable, measure the distance between the inside of the lips and see if more clearance exists on the mags that do not work.   Use this as a starting point.

The "crimp" that downzero is talking about is the dent that STI puts into their 10 round mags. He has contacted me with the complaint of not being able to get 10 rounds in the mag and nosedive/feeding problems. I suggested that he replace the mag tubes with the straight wall mag tube that STI sells and just watch his round count when he loads them up for L10. If he wants to have them set up with a round count hole at 10, I can do that for him. He will end up with a much better mag in the long run. The 10 round mags he has now are almost impossible to fix.

Team GE

Thanks for the post. I appreciate your explanation of the problem. I've ordered straight mag tubes and I'm sending the factory tubes back to Chris at STI. I only wish someone had told me before I bought extra "factory" magazines. Live and Learn. Thanks for being so generous with your time.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought springs and followers from Beven and the followers went into my STI tubes without any muss or fuss, unlike other followers I have purchased in the past.   I also use his 4mm base pad extensions but that would be of no value to you in L10.

Al