Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Military Physical Training

Of course, passing the APFT and meeting height/weight requirements are not a requirement in the Army to deploy overseas! :blink:

Exactly! Makes you wonder what's really important then. Having a soldier in shape or a soldier present on the battlefield. To me...the latter. I'd rather have a guy that wants to be there and can't pass the PT test than a PT stud that doesn't want to be in the fight.

Rich

What is really sad is that it is the younger soldiers who typically fail the APFT. The older soldiers gut out the APFT and will pass the APFT no matter how ugly the score. We have the APFT every October to start the new Fiscal Year and it was the younger soldiers who failed.

Of course, passing the APFT and meeting height/weight requirements are not a requirement in the Army to deploy overseas! :blink:

That's because they have yet to learn the real meaning of the 7 army values.... namely Integrity and Personal Courage

Dude...the Army Core Values were broken well before that little yarn (right next to the Soldier's Creed) was ever written.

That said, the saving grace is that there are still good officers and NCO's in the Army. Just not enough in my opinion.

Rich

hey uscbigdawg and roboman....continuing the thread drift here...sorry folks....

to a certain extent, that is a symptom and not the "disease" itself.

there are always going to be people who view being in the military just like any other job, then there will be people who have internalized a duty concept.

the first group of people are called ROAD:

Retired

On

Active

Duty

They are the slugs who are just marking time untill they can get their 20 years and punch out.

Then again who can blame them. Even 2nd Lt's straight out of the Academy are now expendable. Mama Blue is "force shaping" Company Grade Officers out of the Chair Force left and right. I think some people are even gaming the system. Some folks may actually intentionally go on to pilot training and fail, so the AF will kick them out all together. Those people are more worried about bringing in the big bucks from some civilian employer as soon as possible than robbing a pilot training slot (from someone who really wants it) and then serving their country.

(not trying to get political here, really I am not, so please don't close this thread)

I think in a few years the military will be gutted and demoralized again, just like after Vietnam.

Pardon my thread drift....stepping off my soapbox.

So Calamity....how are those pullups coming along?

Did you print out the pic of Linda Hamilton and paste it on your 'frige yet?

How's that for motivation?

Linda Hamilton is "ripped" in that picture. Her body fat percentage is probably that of an anorexic...but man she looks cool. I don't think I can attain her physique in that picture...but I certainly think I'm capable of a stronger more leaner me. I've always worked out and exercised, but this year I'm going to be more aggressive about it and set some goals. Thanks again guys for the info.

Oh Yeah....I still can't do a pull up. I hope to one day post that I can. I've got a quote hanging up over my desk that says, "Don't think about how weak you are, think about how strong you are going to be." ;)

Don't discount where you can go. A good friend from high school, after almost 15 years since we graduated and 2 kids, she's a Fitness America Pageant model. Super great shape, attitude and a physique that well...only her husband gets to enjoy.

Rich

Linda Hamilton is "ripped" in that picture. Her body fat percentage is probably that of an anorexic...but man she looks cool. I don't think I can attain her physique in that picture...but I certainly think I'm capable of a stronger more leaner me. I've always worked out and exercised, but this year I'm going to be more aggressive about it and set some goals. Thanks again guys for the info.

Oh Yeah....I still can't do a pull up. I hope to one day post that I can. I've got a quote hanging up over my desk that says, "Don't think about how weak you are, think about how strong you are going to be." ;)

Jane,

You really should consider talking to Rhino. He trained a female bodybuilding for a while when he was in California. He knows a thing or two about moving weight (and not just his own) ;)

Dave

+1 on the personal trainer.

You need to focus on core-strength and balance. It will help your shooting a lot too. I've watched some of the personal trainers working with women at my local gym and after just a few weeks the improvement was dramatic.

You can bet that when Linda Hamilton first tried a pull-up she failed.

It's all just hard work and perserverance. With those - and determination - you can accomplish anything you set your mind on.