Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Armory Longslide

Rufus The Bum

Rufus, I have the non-Trophy Match longslide. I'm sure the Trophy Match is much better fitted, but mine had an abysmal slide to frame fit--it rattled even when new. The barrel fit wasn't great either. I ended up mating the slide to a Baer frame, welded up the barrel lugs, added an EGW tungsten rod, S&A magwell, fiber optic front, and the gun runs fine with good accuracy. My limited experience with Springfield is that the fit differs a lot from gun to gun.

Guest Dick W Holliday

These guys have one "shooters Choice Indoor Range" tell'm Ray C. sent you.......910-350-0GUN.....Ask for Shawn......Dick

• 2 weeks later...

I puchased the V-16 and also ordered the solid barrel to replace the ported one. The advantage being able to use either as desired and the lightened cut slide for the porting. The nonported barrel is a tack driver, 1" 25yrds, required a bit of fitting, but awesome results! I'm qite happy with the purchase. Dealer price on your model is around $1050.

Just shot a PX9129L today (not mine).  Quick review:

Ammo: Factory W-W 230 JHP (150 rounds)

Accuracy: 1" group at 15 yds off hand.   Tried to shoot from the 25, but I tore my ACL (skiing) awhile back and could not get low to bench the gun from 25yds.  Bottom line:Accurate (and don't go skiing).

Reliability: Out of 150 rds I had 4 instances where the slide would not close on the round.  When I ejected the round and put it back in the mag it worked fine.  Bottom line:Not reliable as is from the box for USPSA.

Fit:  Nice.......real nice and tight all the way around.  Bottom line: Real good.

Sights: Front is too big for ME.  I would replace with a narrow fiber type sight.  Rear blade  would also be replaced.  Bottom line: Replace both it was my gun.

Trigger: Horrible compared to my open/limited type guns.  Gritty, heavy (4-5lbs), but I can understand the liability concern from SA about light pulls.  Bottom line: Has to be re-done if it was mine.

Front Strap checkering isn't high enough for ME.  The checkering itself is done rather nicely.  Bottom line: Has to be cut higher if it was mine.

I would buy the gun (and probably will) and have a few things done to it.  The gun did have significant muzzle jump compared to my SV 40, but I was using factory loads. I don't with my SV.  I'm positive with handloads this would give my SV a run in L-10 even if its a single stack.  Bottom Line: I'm gonna get one.

oddjob, I don't understand something, you found the S/A unreliable and there is at least 3 major things you have to change but you still would buy this pistol?  Wouldn't it be better to pay a good custom pistolsmith to build you a longslide the way you want it to start with? I bet it wouldn't cost much more if any than doing all that to a S/A.  

My point is that as long as we are willing to buy substandard pistols the factory will keep putting them out.

What a wonderful review, that's what I've been wanting to hear.  I suspect his feed problem was magazine related, the sights, checkering and trigger were an opinion.  It might fit most people hands just fine, but without actually holding one ourself, it's hard to make an opinion about one based on someone elses experience.  First thing I would do ANYWAYS would be to install a fiber optic front and have a trigger job done, that's just a fact of life with any pistol I buy. Thanks again for the great review.

Yep.............I would still buy the PX9129L.  In my mind the reliability and trigger is the big doo-dads.  I can live with the front strap.  As far as I am concerned the trigger is an easy fix.  The reliability.....well yeah....I understand the concerns.  I have six S.A. guns.  This PX9129L would be 7th.  I still believe that the factory or at worse my local gunsmith can make it right for me.  I really like the gun and will buy it.  If not the one I shot.......I'll get another one.

As finicky as we USPSA shooters are I still believe this is a good and sound 1911.  And no......I don't work for S.A.  In my mind the potential for the PX9192L is awesome. I say this cause I still remember getting several custom guns that had to be shot for several hundred rounds before it was considered "good to go".  I understand this procedure (may not agree, but I understand) with ALL competition guns (and self defense).  

Bottom Line: I'm gonna get one.