Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cast Bullet Diameter For Beretta 92?

revchuck

Folks - Any luck on finding the correct diameter for cast bullets for a Beretta 92? My experience so far is that .355s keyhole and .356s hit point on in patterns rather than groups. Is .357 the magic number?

My CZ-75B shoots fine with .355s.

I've got just under a thousand Precision 147s sized to .358 that didn't work out in my revolvers. They'll be my first experiment. ;) Any suggestions on load data? I've got Titegroup, Bullseye, American Select, Unique, PB, 7625, 4756 and Silhouette...and probably some others if I look. :P

TIA!

Chuck, I would try silhouette,,,aka WAP and Unique first. If they wont shoot with them then I am not sure what to tell you..My old duty gun had a rough bore but I guess I shot enough jacketed that it shoots lead sized .356 ok...loads are 122ltc with 3.5gr TG and 147s with TG as well as pretty much anything lead with W231....

I guess look at the bore and try lapping it if it is rough looking...... :)

Good luck,

DougC

Hi Chuck,

my Beretta 92FS likes projectiles of .357 diameter. Any less and I get lots of leading. Your .358 projies should work well.

Keyholes are often a sign of too much crimp. Just back it off a little.

All the CZ75/85's I've used have been .358 bore.

Lapping the Beretta barrel is not a go as it is chrome plated.

Kirby.

Thanks, y'all!

Doug - I'll probably use the Silhouette. I can't find any revolver data for it anyway. :rolleyes:

Joe - The ammo that keyholed was loaded to 1.16" OAL. I'm pretty sure it was the diameter. I'll load the 147s as long as the throating and/or mags will let me.

Kirby - Sounds like I'm headed in the right direction. I had a Walther (Manurhin) P1 once that needed .358s to shoot. Maybe the Beretta inherited more than just the locking block. ;)