Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

686 Holster & Speedloaders For Idpa

Duster

I need to decide on a holster, speedloaders and pouches for my 686 in IDPA. For speedloaders I'm looking at Comp II's or III's. And the Safariland 333 carrier (legal?). Holsters I'm wide open.

Edited by Duster

I've heard of people using the Safariland 333, cutting it so that two of the carriers are together in front of the holster and one behind, in order to stay within the rules.

Blade-Tech makes a kydex holster for L frames, and that would be the hot setup if you don't want leather. Just make sure you don't get the DOH version, which is made to make the butt stick out more than the 3/4" allowed. If you want leather, I'd go with the Mithch Rosen holster that Dillon sells. Both of these holsters are available without wait. Dillon is at http://www.dillonprecision.com and hopefully someone else will supply the URL for (I think) Speed Shooters, who is a BE Forum member.

I use my carry stuff - an older Dillon "Master" holster, and a dual Blade-Tech SL carrier. For a "big" match, or a local one when there's going to be a lot of relatively high round count stages, I'll stick a single Blade-Tech carrier behing the holster as well.

For speedloaders, if you're just going to use them for competiton, go with the Comp IIIs. There's a thread in the revolver FAQs on modifying them to make them faster.

I shot many sanctioned matches using the 333 speedloader carrier,before it was pointed out to me that they are, not IDPA legal (not at a match). If you read p37 of the current rule book it states"....and covers the full diameter and body of the speedloader or retain the speedloader with a snap or velcro closure." A pic of what is legal is on p38 (but I don't' know who makes it). I would say use it, but be aware.

Around here the hot ticket for SSR speedloaders and holders is Comp IIIs (using Bubbers Modifications) and Speedloader holders from www.pistolpacking.com.

I have yet to try the set up, but have talked to several IDPA SSR masters and they all but 1 were using that set up. And it looks like the way I would do it too.....

But what do I know? I'm just a dummy that shoots. ;)

Oh yeah, I do use a Blade-tec holster for K/L frames with FBI can't for those size guns(OK, but I would like to try others to see if there is a better option)

HOP

I shot many sanctioned matches using the 333 speedloader carrier,before it was pointed out to me that they are, not IDPA legal (not at a match).
Doh!!! :wacko:

Thanks for the correction!

ETA: The illustration on page 38 in the rulebook (with the two Comp IIIs sticking out) shows the Blad-Tech holder I use.

Edited by revchuck