Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 Right For Me?

RangerE32

I just picked up a G35 last weekend and so far I like it better than my G17 I sold to buy the 35. I like the longer sight radius, and when comparing it to my roommate's G22, I think it just has a faster "time to target" for me given the longer sight radius. I have ordered a set of sights for it as I don't like the Glock sights. I am going to put the Dawson front and Hienie rear sight on it because I don't like the distractions of dots or markings on the rear, and I want it to be close to my STI sights, at least in color and relative shape. I also installed my Steel guide rod and low power recoil spring.

When I picked it up, the trigger was all stock G35 trigger, and while it had the usual 3.5 connector feel, it was still pretty heavy and very gritty. I pulled it apart, and used the Dremel with a buffing wheel and polishing compound to make all the parts shine like a mirror. I also put in a low power striker spring (from glockmiester.com I think) and then put it all back together. Man does that make a difference, it is butter smooth and much lighter. The only other things I will be doing to it are grip tape, lone wolf overtravel stop (had one on the G17 and it really takes out the overtravel), magwell, and dawson basepads for limited. I seriously doubt I will shoot it much in Limited, or even at all, but I need something in case my STI breaks during a match, and it is much cheaper.

The 3.5# trigger pull feels pretty light compared to the heavy double action trigger on my Sigs. I am hoping the 25-cent trigger job will be the ticket for me. It currently feels kinda "squishy" at times....needs a little cleaning up. Sights I am still contemplating...full Dawson F/O set, or Dawson FO front and a plain black Dawson/Heinie/Sevigny rear. I need to set a date to godown and burn some more ammo.

I have the .100 Dawson fiber optic front sight with the adj dawson rear. My only complaint is the sharp corners on the rear sight, I need to break down the edge a little, but I love those sights. Dont get any fiber in the rear, its too busy.

My sig pulls about 12lbs on double action over about 3/4" of pull. Just keep in mind that the glock is a double action type pull, but more like 1/4". The standard 3.5 connector will yield about 4.5lbs on the scale. the polish job can drop it to 4lbs, but mostly will make the trigger smooth, which makes it feel lighter. The heavier pull connector like the 5.0 will have a shorter trigger pull than the 3.5. For that reason, I have seen some shooters, prefer the 5.0 connector,(pulls about 5.5 to 6lb then polish, then add Woff spring kit and get it back down to 3 to 3.5. The shorter trigger pull makes it feel more crisp. I love my glocks and I have played with a lot of high dollar triggers. Most of them, no matter what is done, still feels like an old dart gun to me, so we just do what we can.

Instead of spending the cash on a full magwell ($100+), you might try the Seattle Slug grip weight, it has a ramped edge that helps with reloads, and adds 3.5oz to the grip, which helps the balance tremdously when the gun is running out of ammo, it soaks up a little recoil too, which is always nice. It wont break the bank at about $20 and you dont run into issues of what mag pads you have to run if you are running brand X magwell. I can run stock mags or extended's with no issues. I didnt like the brass appearance on my G35 with KKM stainless Bbl, so I got some brass black, now it looks like black chrome and is acceptable.

Edited by Smokecloud

The 3.5# trigger pull feels pretty light compared to the heavy double action trigger on my Sigs. I am hoping the 25-cent trigger job will be the ticket for me. It currently feels kinda "squishy" at times....needs a little cleaning up. Sights I am still contemplating...full Dawson F/O set, or Dawson FO front and a plain black Dawson/Heinie/Sevigny rear. I need to set a date to godown and burn some more ammo.

The squishy feeling can be replaced by a smooth takeup, once everything is polished up and the gun has cycled several thousand times. The Sotelo kit gives you an easy, smooth takeup (mushrooming the firing pin safety is often the best fix) with a fairly crisp sear release.

H.

Hind sight is 20/20. I started tinkering immediately when I started shooting. All of my glocks have had trigger work in them.

Ranger, the more I shoot my glocks, the less I think one needs to spend a lot of money on the trigger. I'll admit there are many things you can do to make the trigger lighter, smoother, etc, but at this point in the game you are best served with a little clean up, polishing and a 3.5 connector.

Start out investing your money in lots of ammo, better sights and a new recoil spring and rod. You can tinker later.

I've used both the Dawsons and the Sevigney sights. I like both, and either will get you there. Weather black front sight or FO front sight is a toss up in my opinion. Either will work as long as you get used to the sight picture. I'm currently using Dawson FO front sights on my 34, 35, and 24.

I prefer the THE recoil rods, and really prefer the tungstun, but SS will also work just fine. The ISMI 13lb recoil spring works in my 34 and 35. I have to cut coils off of my 13ers for my 34 to run right with my 130pf reloads (13lb spring works just fine with WWB or UMC). No problem with a standard 13er in my 35. Some prefer the 15lb spring.

Learning this sport is REALLY about all the other stuff that happens after the buzzer goes off. Don't get discouraged with not beating people, or not finishing high up right now. Most of the old timers have more rounds strong and weak hand down range than beginners have ever shot total. Focus on learning the sport and learning winning TECHNIQUE. Hell, it's taken me over 10,000 rounds and 100's of hours dry-firing this year to figure out the feel of really good trigger control and sight acquistion. When the techniques start taking hold, you will see it and start climbing the ladder.

Hind sight is 20/20. I started tinkering immediately when I started shooting. All of my glocks have had trigger work in them.

Ranger, the more I shoot my glocks, the less I think one needs to spend a lot of money on the trigger. I'll admit there are many things you can do to make the trigger lighter, smoother, etc, but at this point in the game you are best served with a little clean up, polishing and a 3.5 connector.

Start out investing your money in lots of ammo, better sights and a new recoil spring and rod. You can tinker later.

I've used both the Dawsons and the Sevigney sights. I like both, and either will get you there. Weather black front sight or FO front sight is a toss up in my opinion. Either will work as long as you get used to the sight picture. I'm currently using Dawson FO front sights on my 34, 35, and 24.

I prefer the THE recoil rods, and really prefer the tungstun, but SS will also work just fine. The ISMI 13lb recoil spring works in my 34 and 35. I have to cut coils off of my 13ers for my 34 to run right with my 130pf reloads (13lb spring works just fine with WWB or UMC). No problem with a standard 13er in my 35. Some prefer the 15lb spring.

Learning this sport is REALLY about all the other stuff that happens after the buzzer goes off. Don't get discouraged with not beating people, or not finishing high up right now. Most of the old timers have more rounds strong and weak hand down range than beginners have ever shot total. Focus on learning the sport and learning winning TECHNIQUE. Hell, it's taken me over 10,000 rounds and 100's of hours dry-firing this year to figure out the feel of really good trigger control and sight acquistion. When the techniques start taking hold, you will see it and start climbing the ladder.

I can second that. After I started shooting my G35, I bitched nonstop (on this board, among other places) about the trigger, then I dropped in the Sotelo kit, which did help quite a bit.

However, now that I've sent 3k rounds through it, I found that when I picked up a stock 5# Glock trigger, it didn't feel nearly as bad as I recall. I think a lot of it is just getting your brain used to the various stages of the trigger.

H.

All good information...thanks guys. Spending a lot of money on equipment will never beat focusing on technique and putting rounds down range. Thanks for reinforcing that. I just bought a thousand more rounds of .40. After buying new sights, my guess is that my money would be better spent on a reloader...which would help me get more rounds downrange. Christmas is coming...might be time for a Dillon!

I definitely like the F/O front sight. Will go with a DP .100 front. Wasn't sure I wanted F/O on the rear...now leaning toward plain black rear sight. I appreciate all the info. on how to improve the trigger w/o dropping in an aftermarket trigger. The info. on springs was very helpful, as I wouild have been left guessing at what spring weights to try. I have heard using everything from 13- 17# springs. The "slug" sounds like an interesting option.

Guess I had a bad case of "gun show envy" when I first started this post. You guys helped me through it and I still have the Glock. :D

SA Friday...Not sure you got my reply to your PM. Thanks for your generous offers.

I put the following on both my G34 and my G35: Dawson FO Front sight - 019-004, .100 x .285 //// Dawson Adjustable Rear (plain) 017-012. It's a great sight picture. The Adjustable rear is more money, but definately easier to sight in for a good reload or various factory ammo. I have had NO problems with the adj rear coming apart or losing zero.

The fixed sight I would use is the Sevigny competition #3 sight set. It's already made for the Glock, and doesn't require any change.

Got your last PM. Offer still stands if you ever make it out this way. Just let me know.

Edited by SA Friday

Which rear sight has the wider notch that a lot of folks seem to prefer?

Warren/Sevigny Competition or the Heinie "Race-Cut" Slant-Pros. Both available from Custom Glock Racing. Rear sight notches on these are about 0.150" if I'm not mistaken. Have shot the Heinies on ParaJoe's gun, very nice. I'm waiting on my Warren/Sevigny comp sights to arrive, can tell you more after I use 'em.

• 3 weeks later...

Which rear sight has the wider notch that a lot of folks seem to prefer?

Warren/Sevigny Competition or the Heinie "Race-Cut" Slant-Pros. Both available from Custom Glock Racing. Rear sight notches on these are about 0.150" if I'm not mistaken. Have shot the Heinies on ParaJoe's gun, very nice. I'm waiting on my Warren/Sevigny comp sights to arrive, can tell you more after I use 'em.

Got my Warren Sevigny Competition sights mounted. WOW. Very nice, perhaps the nicest iron sights I've ever used. Very similar to the Heinies, except the WTS rear sight has no serrations and is slanted rearward... this might make it a little easier to focus on the front sight since there are no rear serrations to clutter the sight picture. OTOH, if you are really focused on the front sight like you should be, then the rear serrations probably don't matter anyway. Both take some getting used to, the rear notches are larger than normal and there is plenty of light on either side of the blade.

Can't go wrong with either the Heinies or the WTS sights, both are great!