Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting an Edge to Modified

Rufus The Bum

What all would I need to convert my Edge to shoot Modified?  A hybrid barrel, Optima scope and a smaller magwell?  What about mags?  Are they 126mm or 140's?  I think it would be better to build a complete top-end instead of modifying the factory slide so I can easily switch between Ltd and Modified. Is this correct?  

Modified must fit in the box w/ mag ; ports, optics, thumb rests are all allowed but unlike open, the box rule and mag rule applies.

I think Dawson makes special basepads for just such a thing

Before you go and have a new top end fit, compare the costs. I do not think, in the grand scale of things, that it is all that much cheaper than having a seperate gun.

To make it work, you cannot touch the frame at all or the original slide will not be as accurate or even fit!

You would need to use an oversize barrell and make it fit to your particular frame as far as ramp cut goes. Not as strait forward as you might think.

I looked a having a new topend fit to my Edge for a different purpose and was quoted $550 + another 500 in parts.

I think I'd rather at that point spend another 700 and get a complete gun.

Unless of course you live in California:)

I agree with warpspeed, plus, unless you got a short framed pistol, your frame will have to be recut to fit the box.

SV has a good example of modified pistol on their website.

So does Limcat.

Mags are 120 mm plus the basepad, it can be a +1 depending on the set up you choosed (length and optics).

DVC

Julien

:)

• 1 year later...

Old post, I know, but I just had a question about modified guns.

Is there really no other option but to port? How about a single chamber comp?

And when porting, I always see in-line ports on top of the barrel/slide. Anybody tried doing the V-type porting? Which is better?

Thanks a lot.

The demand for R&D on Modified guns isn't there like with Open or Standard/Limited guns, so everyone has gone with what first came to mind: ported on the spine guns.

I built a dual upper Modified/Limited gun, but only because I could.

Regardless of what you do, it has to fit the box, so your options are not many.

Thanks for the reply Pat.

Before I splurge on a modified gun (it's also popular back here btw) I wanted to understand the mechanics behind it's operation. Hopefully, when I do, at least I can get to tell my smith what I want instead of just following the "norm." Besies, with the rising cost of guns and accessories back here, modified is the closest I can afford when going the optics route.

First some things I want to get right.

1. No comp. This means there's no force to retard slide opening & velocity, right? Yet I still wonder why some opt to go to extreme slide lightening (like open gun slides) and complain why their buffs don't last a single match.

2. Increased powder charge. I figured with this load you'll need to spring your gun no different than your limited gun, if not even heavier a little?

3. Porting. Could there be too much porting? Or is it like there's an optimum number and size after which you don't really gain anything (recoil-wise) with the extra ports except noise and blast?

Realy appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks again.

When I built my modified, I put a schuemann commander length Hybrid barrel.

I was pretty happy with that set up.

If I had to rebuild one, I'd try one like Limcat's pistol.

Using a regular bull barrel, the regular slide re-cut in length and angled and make some ports holes in V shape in the barrel.

I'd put a Docter or a JPoint on the middle of the frame, instead of the big (but nice) Oko.

The cool thing was that I didn't have to worry about the loads. I used the same load as in standard, only put a 180 FMJ bullet instead of the 170 FMJ.