Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti In California

So long as that firearm is DROS'ed into the state by a California resident (i.e. Mom & Dad need to reside in CA).

Rich

Thats not what the DOJ said. Talked to three different people at three different times.

Parents live out of state.

They can DROS them there. Send to FFL dealer here. Then I do a parent to child transfer here.

So long as that firearm is DROS'ed into the state by a California resident (i.e. Mom & Dad need to reside in CA).

Rich

Thats not what the DOJ said. Talked to three different people at three different times.

Parents live out of state.

They can DROS them there. Send to FFL dealer here. Then I do a parent to child transfer here.

I'd get that in writing. No FFL in CA will DROS a non-approved handgun. Period. End of story.

Now, if you have DOJ letterhead saying otherwise, I'd love to see it. As would other I'm sure.

BTW folks, Rich & I have gone through this process before so we are not talking out of our backsides here, we speak ( or type as it were :) ) from experience.

From the Firearms Handbook pg 43

Firearms obtained through intestate succession or by bequest, sales or transfers

between “immediate family” members. Immediate family means parent and child,

and grandparent and grandchild. (NOTE: Individuals who receive a concealable

firearm in this manner must obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate. The acquisition of

a handgun in this manner must be reported within 30 days to the Department of

Justice on forms provided by the Department of Justice.) (Penal Code §§

12078(i)(1)(B), 12078©(2)(A).)

As long as the Inrea-Familial Handgun transaction form is filled out within 30 days.

From the Firearms Handbook pg 43

Firearms obtained through intestate succession or by bequest, sales or transfers

between “immediate family” members. Immediate family means parent and child,

and grandparent and grandchild. (NOTE: Individuals who receive a concealable

firearm in this manner must obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate. The acquisition of

a handgun in this manner must be reported within 30 days to the Department of

Justice on forms provided by the Department of Justice.) (Penal Code §§

12078(i)(1)(B), 12078©(2)(A).)

As long as the Inrea-Familial Handgun transaction form is filled out within 30 days.

Good luck. My suggestion is to write the DOJ and ask them specifically if you can have your parent who lives out of state send a non-approved handgun to your FFL and get it DROSed to you. When I asked, the said "NO". I should have written but instead waited for my mom to move here.

The problem is that there is no specific expemtion of PC sections 12125 - 12133 for the above since the above ( PC sec 12078) was codefied before 12125 - 12133.

Now, I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but unless I had a letter from the DOJ saying I could , I would not.

Edited by warpspeed

Oh Ive asked trust me.

I called them on three different occasions and told them EXACTLY what I was planning on. How many, from where, if I could sale, how to fill out form, etc...They said no problem.

As long as I did the familial transfer form and they got there $19 bucks.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Oh Ive asked trust me.

I called them on three different occasions and told them EXACTLY what I was planning on. How many, from where, if I could sale, how to fill out form, etc...They said no problem.

As long as I did the familial transfer form and they got there $19 bucks.

I'll keep everyone updated.

OK Lyle. But like I said, get it in writing.

• 2 weeks later...

Too funny! it was not long ago I was reemed for the same question. I was a CA resident looking for the legal means to buy an STI. I did my research and If you can find someone willing to part with one in the 1st place, it is totally legal to do a private party transfer for an STI in CA. I bought 3! in the last 2 months before I moved to FL. 3 weeks ago (where I bought 2 STI's and a Para) So I think I should know the premium. For a bone stock edge w 3000 rds I paid $2300. Thats a $1700.00 gun just a few miles over in Nevada. for the gun in my avatar, $2600 w 5000 rds, but it has every bell and whistle you can ask for and was built by a very reputable CA gunsmith. I moved out of state and bought my first open blaster for $2175 its like new. In CA, I was offered a Very Used Open STI for $3800 w 10+k rds through it and it wasnt cycling properly w his own "match" loads. I wasnt down! Am I glad i moved! I bought a very similar STI limited gun to my avatar here for $1800. (cant hurt to have a nearly identical backup gun) Go to the matches and see if anyone is parting w one. its christmas time and i know people out there need money. you may be surprised what you can find. good luck!